Letters to the Editor: July 11, 2008
Thanks Del Mar Thoroughbred Club
The Del Mar Foundation Summer Twilight Concerts are as much a part of the summer experience in Del Mar as the thoroughbred-racing season at the Del Mar Racetrack. That is why the Del Mar Foundation is so pleased to have the Del Mar Thoroughbred Club as a partner for all four of this summer’s concerts.
According to Joe Harper, president and general manager of the Del Mar Thoroughbred Club, “The Del Mar Thoroughbred Club is always glad to work with the good people of the Del Mar community and we’re especially happy to work with them in putting on good events. The Summer Twilight Concert Series fills the bill 100 percent in that regard and we are delighted to be a part of it.”
The Del Mar Racetrack is rich with history. On opening day in 1937 Bing Crosby was at the gate to personally welcome fans and on August 12, 1938 the racetrack was the site of the historic meeting between Seabiscuit and Ligaroti, which Seabiscuit won “by a nose.” The tradition continues this year from July 16 through September 3, featuring 43 days of racing in the scenic beauty of the racetrack’s seaside location. The slogan “Where the Surf Meets the Turf” is as valid today as it was more than seventy years ago.
Please join the Del Mar Foundation for the final three concerts of the summer featuring:
- Cactus Twang & White, with Grano & Nash and special guest Eve Selis: Midnight Ramblers: A Rolling Stones Tribute on July 15 at 7 p.m.
- CSN&Y Retrospective on August 19 at 7 p.m.
- Soul Seduction on Sept. 21 at 5 p.m.
You can find out more about the Del Mar Foundation and can make a contribution to help us in our mission by logging onto our website at www.delmarfoundation.org.
Del Mar Foundation Board of Directors
- More race days possible
- Lifestyles editor welcomed to newspaper group
- Local residents to dress to the nines for Opening Day
- Summer brings ‘Star Trek’ exhibit, free outdoor films
- Opening Day fashion tips that’ll get you noticed
Short URL: http://www.delmartimes.net/?p=4721