Explosive washes ashore in Solana Beach
A military explosive washed onshore at Fletcher Cove in Solana Beach today. Lifeguards noticed the 18-inch-long circular projectile resting against the temporary lifeguard tower on the beach mid-morning. The military arrived to carefully remove and dispose of the device around 12:30 p.m.
Covered in sea life, the object had clearly been in the water for many years, according to David Ott, Solana Beach city manager and director of public safety. Ott said that water could disarm a device or make it unstable. “You never know, that’s why you treat it the same way,” he said.
This is the first military device to wash ashore in Solana Beach in recent memory, Ott added.
- Solana Beach Sun Rack Locations
- Solana Beach City Council to receive a pay raise
- Plastic bag recycling plan promoted by Solana Beach
- Green means clean to Solana Beach city committee
- Why the alcohol ban in Solana Beach?
Short URL: http://www.delmartimes.net/?p=3549