Professional volleyball player found dead
Professional volleyball player and Olympian Michael John Whitmarsh has died, it was reported today.
The 46-year-old San Diego native was found dead in the garage of his friend’s Solana Beach home at 11:35 a.m. Tuesday morning, according to the Medical Examiner’s Office.
An autopsy to determine the cause of death has not yet been scheduled.
Whitmarsh and former San Diego State basketball player Mike Dodd won the silver medal in the men’s inaugural beach volleyball tournament at the 1996 Summer Olympics.
Whitmarsh, who was 6 feet 7 inches, also played basketball for the University of San Diego and led the team to the NCAA tournament in 1984. As a volleyball player, he won 29 titles and more than $1.5 million.
He is survived by his wife, Cindy, and two daughters.
- Athletes get an equal playing field
- Lady Lions volleyball team soars to finals
- Eagle star Adelhelm has repeat on the mind
- Torrey Pines star returns to her New England roots
- Twins give a one-two punch to Canyon Crest volleyball
Short URL: http://www.delmartimes.net/?p=5857