Local man severely injured in apparent suicide attempt

An apparently suicidal man was severely injured March 25 when he stepped into the path of an oncoming big rig on Interstate 5 in the far northern reaches of San Diego County, authorities reported.

The 66-year-old Del Mar man walked in front of the southbound tractor-trailer from the western side of the freeway in the San Onofre area shortly 11:30 a.m., according to the California Highway Patrol.

The driver of the commercial vehicle swerved, but his trailer struck the pedestrian, CHP public affairs Officer Eric Newbury said.

The man, who had been standing next to his car on the shoulder of the interstate prior to entering the traffic lanes, was airlifted to a Mission Viejo hospital for treatment of severe injuries.

“Based on the statements made at the scene by the pedestrian, it is believed he made an unsuccessful attempt at ending his life,” Newbury said.

The southbound side of the freeway was closed for about 30 minutes to allow for investigations and cleanup.

Related posts:

  1. New express lanes on I-15 will debut in September
  2. Fire closes I-5; now reopened
  3. SR-163/I-15 closes for construction Jan. 14
  4. Solutions sought to cut-through traffic
  5. Officials mark completion of road project

Short URL: http://www.delmartimes.net/?p=4853

Posted by Pat Sherman on Mar 25, 2009. Filed under Archives. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. You can leave a response or trackback to this entry

Leave a Reply

Archives

Facebook

Bottom Buttons 1

Bottom Buttons 2

Bottom Buttons 3

Bottom Buttons 4

Bottom Buttons 5

Bottom Buttons 6

LA JOLLA NEWS

RSS LA JOLLA NEWS

RANCHO SANTA FE NEWS

RANCHO SANTA FE NEWS

RSS RANCHO SANTA FE NEWS