Powerhouse singing at Powerhouse Park
Tuesday night, June 16, tiny Eve Selis brought her big voice and her band and rocked the town, kicking off the first of the 2009 Del Mar summer twilight concerts.
As they do every year, music lovers of every age began to gather well before sundown along the cliff-top greenery of Powerhouse Park to lay out their picnic blankets, set out their chairs and settle in for a great evening of music, fun and friends.
The summer twilight concert series is put on by the Del Mar Foundation and is underwritten by some amazing community supporters, including Jake’s Del Mar, the Del Mar Thoroughbred Club, the Poseidon Restaurant, and Pam Slater and the county of San Diego. These Del Mar VIPs may not make the whole world sing, but they certainly do bring a lot of fun and harmony to our end of the world.
As Poseidon’s Nikki Rangeles puts it: “We are happy to sponsor the Summer Concerts again this year. It is a great summertime event and showcases why Del Mar is such a wonderful place to live in or visit. You get to be outside and enjoy the great weather, great music and great people! My brother and I grew up going to the concerts, and now we bring our little ones and have a wonderful time.”
This year, the crowd was as enthusiastic as ever. “What a way to kick off the summer. I got to reconnect with all my friends after hibernating at work all year,” Del Mar local Dave Hackbart said.
There’s a lot more great music coming your way. Don’t miss the rest of the series. Here’s what’s lined up:
- Tuesday, July 21 – Pass those chips and shake your hips to the good ole American rock ‘n’ roll sounds of Rockola.
- Tuesday, Aug. 18 – Ay Carumba! “Savor” the sounds of Carlos Santana with this tribute band.
- Tuesday, Sept. 13 – Slither down seaside for the smooth jazzy blues of Ruby and the Red Hots.
The Del Mar Foundation not only puts on these twilight concerts, but a host of other community activities, including “First Thursdays,” children’s programs and holiday celebrations. For more information, visit www.delmarfoundation.org.
- Jodi Kennedy, Del Mar Foundation
- Tot lot gets new, safer surface at Powerhouse Park
- Letters to the Editor: July 11, 2008
- Lifeguard fundraising continues
- Philanthropy Spotlight: The Del Mar Foundation
- Ten Questions: Philanthropist backs museums in Balboa Park
Short URL: http://www.delmartimes.net/?p=5818