Summer survival (and fun) starts with preparation
Summertime always brings a flurry of activity to our area. While we welcome the childlike excitement that it generates, the traffic and increased crime can be frustrating and unsettling.
During the summer of 2008, the San Diego Police Department’s Northwestern Division saw a 42 percent increase in residential burglaries, and more than 80 percent of those homes had unlocked or open doors or windows.
Don’t let the transition from winter’s relative tranquillity to the summer heat and crime wave take you by surprise. While they seem like common sense, it’s easy to forget the basics in home security. Here are some friendly reminders from the Northwestern Division:
- Always lock your doors and windows.
- Install a dowel or restrictive device to prevent the window from being opened enough for someone to crawl through. This also applies to second-story windows.
- Place locks on your side gates. Most residential burglars break into homes from the back yard.
- Install motion sensor lights on all sides of your home.
- If you have a home alarm system, always use it.
- Never leave valuables in your car, and always lock the doors and roll up the windows.
- Whenever possible, park your car in the garage and not in the driveway.
- Report suspicious activity immediately to (858) 484-3154 in Carmel Valley and (858) 565-5200 in Del Mar, Solana Beach and Rancho Santa Fe.
As for the traffic, consider using the opportunity to listen to that book on tape you’ve been wanting to delve into, discovering a new favorite radio station or dreaming up life’s next big adventure. Anything to keep you from focusing on the big ugly snarl you’re stuck in. It’s bad for your health.
And when you have some spare time, take advantage of living in a place so many people travel to during these beautiful summer months.
The San Diego County Fair goes through July 5, and race season starts July 22. Live, and sometimes free, concerts are happening all summer in Solana Beach, Del Mar, La Jolla and at Quail Botanical Gardens.
For a complete calendar of exciting events going on throughout the county, check out the entertainment section of our Web site at www.delmartimes.net.
- Summer safety tips offered from Northwestern Division
- Home burglary reports down
- Use common sense in crime prevention
- College move-in day starts with preparation
- Library jump-starts summer reading program
Short URL: http://www.delmartimes.net/?p=7116