Thoroughbred set conducts Pacific Classic draw at L’Auberge
Before the horses broke from the gate on Sept. 6 in the 19th Pacific Classic, a practical ritual had to take place.
The slots in the starting gate needed to be assigned. Since the Pacific Classic is the centerpiece of the Del Mar Thoroughbred Club racing season, even though it now comes on the final weekend, a social evening has always been the setting for the Pacific Classic draw.
This year there was a casual open-air buffet at L’Auberge Del Mar, hosted by Sentient Jet. Track announcer Trevor Denman and DMTC secretary Tom Robbins supervised the matching of the post positions to the 12 entries.
The winner of the Pacific Classic earns a “Win and You’re In” slot in the Breeder’s Cup Classic at Santa Anita on Nov. 7.
- Thoroughbred set conducts Pacific Classic business at L’Auberge
- Organizers hope special offers will draw race crowd
- Richard’s Kid wins $1 million race by a neck
- Celebrity Classic starts April 24
- Del Mar to offer free admission on Wednesdays
Short URL: http://www.delmartimes.net/?p=7398