Choi holds on to win Samsung title at Torrey Pines
Yeon Choi of South Korea lost a seven-stroke lead but birdied the final hole Sunday to win the $1 million 2009 Samsung World Championship, which marked the return of the Ladies Professional Golf Association Tour to San Diego.
Choi, in her second year on the LPGA Tour, shot a one-under-par 71 to finish at 16-under 272 at Torrey Pines South to take the $250,000 winner’s purse.
Japan’s Ai Miyazato Miyazato shot a three-under-par 69 — the lowest score for the final round — to finish second, one stroke behind.
Miyazato held a one-shot lead heading into the final hole, which she bogeyed. Choi won with a birdie.
The tournament was the first appearance by the LPGA in the region in 15 years, and the first such event at Torrey Pines Golf Club since 1983.
- Samsung World Championship tees off at Torrey Pines with Pro-Am
- LPGA action continues at Torrey Pines
- Torrey Pines golf leads league
- Torrey Pines alum Jamie Lovemark to go pro
- LCC edges Torrey Pines in volleyball grudge match
Short URL: http://www.delmartimes.net/?p=2519