Driver in fatal crash may get probation
A 17-year-old boy is considering admitting to vehicular manslaughter and other charges stemming from an alleged drunken driving accident that killed his Torrey Pines High School classmate in exchange for no jail time, it was reported Tuesday.
The process, known as deferred entry of judgment, would mean the teen driver would spend up to three years on probation but ultimately have the charges wiped off his record, according to The San Diego Union-Tribune.
His lawyer, Robert Grimes, told the newspaper the process is only available to some defendants in juvenile court.
The judge would have a lot of discretion regarding the conditions of probation and how long they would last, Grimes said.
Grimes’ client, whose name is being withheld, was the driver of a car that crashed on Oct. 4 on a winding road in Rancho Santa Fe, killing 17-year-old passenger Alex Capozza and critically injuring a second teenage boy. The driver and two other teen passenger were not hurt.
California Highway Patrol investigators said the driver had been drinking at a party and had a blood-alcohol level of 0.10 an hour after the crash. The legal limit in California is 0.08.
He previously entered a not guilty plea to one count of vehicular manslaughter with gross negligence while intoxicated and two counts of drunken driving causing injury.
- Driver allegedly causing fatal crash with pregnant woman in custody
- Probe continues in crash that killed Torrey Pines senior
- TPHS student killed in crash identified
- Judge keeps driver in fatal crash in juvenile detention
- Man accused of fatal freeway crash pleads not guilty
Short URL: http://www.delmartimes.net/?p=3363