Name of Marine killed in crash released
Authorities released the name Thursday of a 20-year-old Camp Pendleton-based Marine killed in a traffic accident on the grounds of the military base near Oceanside.
Lance Cpl. Justin Lewter of Rutherford, Tenn., died Wednesday morning when a military Humvee struck his personal vehicle at Basilone and Las Pulgas roads, according to U.S. Marine Corps public affairs officials. No other injuries were reported.
Lewter, who enlisted in the Marine Corps in October 2007, was a rifleman with the 2nd Battalion, 1st Marine Regiment, 1st Marine Division, I Marine Expeditionary Force. He deployed in support of Operation Iraqi Freedom in September 2008.
Lewter was the recipient of a National Defense Service Medal, Iraqi Campaign Medal, Global War on Terrorism Service Medal and Sea Service Deployment Ribbon.
- Search on for nine missing after Marine copter, C-130 crash
- Marine general sends condolences on crash
- Name of woman killed in Torrey Highlands crash released
- Marine jet crash ‘preventable’
- Four Camp Penleton-based Marines killed in Afghanistan
Short URL: http://www.delmartimes.net/?p=5247