Falcons appear to be back on track
From one week to the next, Torrey Pines is looking more and more like the Falcons of old.
The perennially powerful program, smarting from two down years, appears to be back on track after an impressive 34-10 victory over San Pasqual in an Avocado League game on Nov. 6.
After an 0-3 start, the Falcons have lost just once in their last six games, going 4-1-1 over that stretch to improve to 2-1-1 in league and 4-4-1 overall for the season.
Falcons quarterback John Cabot played a nearly flawless game to lead the victory. Cabot was 9-for-12 passing for 170 yards with three touchdowns and no interceptions.
Cabot’s effort was highlighted by a 67-yard scoring pass to Hunter Shigley midway through the first quarter that stretched the Falcons’ lead to 20-3.
Falcons receiver Ryan Rodas caught three passes for 68 yards and one touchdown, and Parker Vail caught three passes for 36 yards.
Falcons running back John Driscoll rushed for 68 yards and one touchdown on 11 carries.
- Cathedral Catholic played a rare close game and lived to tell about it.
The Dons, whose average margin of victory in their first seven wins was 29 points, squeezed out their first single-digit win of the season, 17-14, over St. Augustine in an Eastern League game on Nov. 6.
The Dons did it without their star running back, Jonny Martin, sidelined with a leg injury early in the game.
Backfielder Jordan Lance rushed for 126 yards and two touchdowns to lead the Dons. Thomas rushed for 88 yards on 12 carries, and Corey Garcia gained 81 yards on 11 carries.
The Dons trailed 7-0 in the second quarter when Lance scored on runs from the 15 and the 2 to put the Dons ahead 14-7 going into the intermission.
John Wells kicked a 33-yard field goal late in the third quarter to stretch the lead to 17-7.
The Dons improved to 3-1 in league and 8-1 overall for the season. More importantly, they moved into a three-way tie for first place with Lincoln (6-2, 3-1) and Mira Mesa (5-4, 3-1).
- Santa Fe Christian fell behind early but came back quickly to defeat Horizon 40-21 in a Coastal North League game on Oct. 7.
Kurt Leudtke rushed for 147 yards and two touchdowns on 15 carries to lead a ground attack that combined for more than 450 yards.
Sam Hoekstra rushed for 136 yards and one touchdown on nine carries, and Trevor Boucher gained 120 yards and scored two touchdowns on 17 carries.
SFC trailed 6-0 on an early Horizon touchdown, but the Eagles rallied on scoring runs from Boucher and Leudtke (both from the 2) to take a 13-6 lead.
Horizon scored on a fumble recovery and took a 14-13 lead after a two-point conversion, but Sam Hoekstra scored on a 50-yard run to make it 19-14 going into the intermission, and Leudtke scored on a 40-yarder late in the third quarter that stretched the Eagles’ lead to 26-14.
The Eagles broke open a 26-21 game late in the third quarter on Boucher’s scoring run from the 20 and Keaton Giannotti’s scoring run from the 2.
- After a sluggish start, two-time defending state champion Santa Fe Christian has returned to form.
The Eagles extended their winning streak to nine matches and remained unbeaten in Coastal North League play with a 3-2 (21-25, 25-16, 25-17, 24-26, 15-7) league victory over San Dieguito Academy on Nov. 5.
The Eagles improved to 6-0 in league and 23-9 overall for the season.
Mackenzie Gilbert had 19 kills and Annie Francis had 17 kills to lead the Eagles. SFC setters Alexa Long and Christie Duoos had 34 and 22 assists, respectively.
- Torrey Pines defeated La Costa Canyon 3-1 (26-24, 25-20, 25-27, 29-27) in an Avocado League match on Nov. 6.
Katie Dutchman had 36 kills to lead the Falcons, and setter Jenny Woolway had 49 assists.
The Falcons improved to 15-2 overall for the season and 9-1 in league.
- Canyon Crest Academy rallied to defeat Francis Parker 3-2 (26-24, 20-25, 17-25, 26-24, 16-14) in a Coastal South League match on Nov. 5.
The Ravens snapped a three-match losing streak as they improved to 4-4 in league and 14-12 overall for the season.
Samantha Cash had 29 kills to lead the Ravens, and CCA setter Kyana Miller had 54 assists.
- Torrey Pines won its 20th consecutive San Diego Section title, as the Falcons defeated Avocado League rival Fallbrook 11-7 in the Div. I finals at Barnes Tennis Center on Nov. 6.
No. 1 singles player Karen Forman was 3-0 in set play and No. 1 doubles partners Bryn Raschke and Diane Ji swept all three sets to lead the Falcons.
- Cathedral Catholic defeated La Jolla Country Day 11-7 in the Div. III finals on the same day.
No. 1 doubles partners Anna Rudakov and Sophia Costes and No. 2 partners Tiara Cabrera and Hayley Sanchez led the Dons, going 6-0 in set play.
- Falcons take down Fallbrook in league play
- Week in Sports: Falcons snap losing streak with 42-0 win
- Week in Sports: Falcons’ basketball title aspirations alive
- Dons come back with 46-7 trouncing of SD
- Falcons strong despite layoff
Short URL: http://www.delmartimes.net/?p=3586