Donation to Balboa park will used for garden upkeep
The city received a $1.25 million gift to fund the upkeep of two of Balboa Park’s gardens, San Diego Mayor Jerry Sanders announced Thursday.
The donation, from the estate of Thomas and Lilyan Frank, will be split equally between the Inez Grant Parker Memorial Rose Garden and the Japanese Friendship Garden, according to the mayor’s office.
“On behalf of all the San Diegans who enjoy the beauty of Balboa Park, I am extremely grateful for the generosity of the Franks,” Sanders said. “These gardens brought the Franks great enjoyment, and their gift was meant to ensure that the public would always be able to experience that same enjoyment.”
Distribution of the money will be managed by The San Diego Foundation’s Balboa Park Trust Committee.
- Sanders announces plan for nonprofit to help run Balboa Park
- Thousands expected at Balboa Park for ‘December Nights’
- Ten Questions: Philanthropist backs museums in Balboa Park
- Balboa Park, state officials set for ‘ShakeOut’ Drill
- Quail Botanical Gardens becomes SD Botanic Garden
Short URL: http://www.delmartimes.net/?p=3333