Santa Fe Christian Eagles fall in Tri-City championship
- Santa Fe Christian advanced to the Tri-City Holiday Classic finals, but the Eagles couldn’t close the deal, losing to Christian of El Cajon 56-47 in the Dec. 30 championship game.
The loss snapped a five-game winning streak as the Eagles saw their overall record for the season fall to 10-3.
The Eagles advanced to the title game after a resounding 75-58 semifinal victory over Los Angeles Center for Enriched Studies. Kyle Hubbard scored 18 points to lead the Eagles in the LACES game, and Cade Gotta and Karl Holmlund each added 15 points.
Hubbard scored 12 points to lead the Eagles in the title game, and Holmlund added nine points.
The Eagles opened the tournament with a decisive 85-54 victory over Santa Clarita Christian of Canyon Country on Dec. 28, and then trounced Hesperia Christian 75-58 in a Dec. 29 quarterfinal. Dane Holmgren and Gotta each scored 15 points to lead the Eagles in the SCC game.
Holmlund and Hubbard each scored 15 points to lead the Eagles against Hesperia Christian, and Grant Corsi added 13 points.
- Canyon Crest Academy outlasted Irvine for a thrilling 60-58 overtime victory in a Jan. 2 nonleague game.
Ryan Kroner led the Ravens with 15 points, seven rebounds and four assists.
Scott Patterson scored 14 points and Max McCarthy added 13 points.
The Ravens went 2-2 in the Tri-City Classic, finishing strong with a 76-37 victory over Oakwood of North Hollywood on Dec. 30.
McCarthy scored 22 points to lead the Ravens in the Oakwood game, and Cory Osetkowski added 13 points and 14 rebounds.
The Ravens improved their overall record for the season to 7-6.
- Cathedral Catholic held its own against some pretty tough competition playing in the Senator’s Division at the MaxPreps Holiday Classic at Torrey Pines.
The Dons, who won their first five games to start the season, went 2-2 in the tournament to push their overall record for the season to 7-3.
The Dons’ effort was highlighted by a 51-48 victory over Rock Academy of San Diego on Dec. 26 in the tournament opener and a 57-42 win against Pacific Hills of Los Angeles on Dec. 29.
Their losses came at the hands of Desert Vista of Phoenix (49-47 on Dec. 28) and Parker of San Diego (66-48 on Dec. 30).
Nick Madden scored 18 points to lead the Dons against Pacific Hills, and Juan Martinez added 15 points.
Madden scored 21 points to lead the Dons against Rock Academy.
- After an opening round loss, Canyon Crest Academy won its last three games to take third place in SoCal Holiday Prep Classic’s NAIA Division at El Capitan High of Lakeside.
The Ravens defeated Reseda High 44-39 in their Dec. 30 finale, their fifth win in six games, as they improved their overall record for the season to 8-5.
The Ravens lost to Carlsbad 48-40 in the opener on Dec. 26, but they bounced back, trouncing El Cajon 52-19 two days later and then Southwest of El Centro 48-30 on Dec. 29.
Kiara Hawkins scored 12 points to lead the Ravens in the Reseda game, and Alison Brown added nine points.
Brown scored 10 points to lead the Ravens in the Southwest game and Quintana added nine points.
- Santa Fe Christian went 1-3 in the Tri-City tournament.
The Eagles opened with an impressive 56-34 victory over Rio Hondo Prep of Arcadia on Dec. 28, but lost their next three to Christian Life Academy (56-38 on Dec. 29), Providence of Burbank (51-33 on Dec. 29) and Holy Martyr’s Armenian of Encino (35-31 on Dec. 30).
Kiara Quinn scored 19 points and had eight steals to lead the Eagles in the Rio Hondo game.
Makenna White contributed 12 points and Lauren Marrs added 11.
Quinn, who leads the team averaging 16.9 points, scored 17 against CLA and 18 against Providence, but was held to 13 in the HMA game.
- Cathedral Catholic lost to Santa Margarita 61-52 in a nonleague game on Jan. 2. Emily Kearney scored 20 points to lead the Dons and Christina Kime added 16 points as the Dons fell to 6-8 overall for the season.
- Cathedral Catholic went 2-2 against elite competition at the Excalibur tournament at Foothill High of Santa Ana.
After losing to Santa Margarita of Rancho Santa Margarita 2-0 in the opener on Dec. 28, the Dons bounced back later in the day for a 2-0 victory over Xavier College Prep of Phoenix later in the day.
They beat Rosary of Fullerton 3-0 on Dec. 29 but lost to Cypress 1-0 in their Dec. 30 tournament finale.
Kendall Kraus scored one goal and had one assist for the Dons in the Rosary game, and Jamie Schnieders and Brittany Eremita each contributed one goal.
Dons goalies Karly Loberg and Lizzie Stabile combined for the shutout.
Kaitlyn Ballantyne scored two goals on assists from Lisa Benito and Mauri Harrison in the Xavier game.
The Dons improved their overall record for the season to 5-4-4.
- Eagles reach state championship
- Falcons strong despite layoff
- Sports Briefs: Cathedral Catholic extends lead in girls basketball
- Week in Sports: Falcons’ basketball title aspirations alive
- Falcons victorious in tourney
Short URL: http://www.delmartimes.net/?p=6452