Falcons avenge loss to Maranatha Christian
- Earlier this season, Torrey Pines had its six-game winning streak that started its season snapped by scrappy Maranatha Christian of San Diego at the nonleague Hosea Hall tournament.
The Falcons looked to exact a measure of revenge when the two teams met again for a nonleague game on Jan. 15, and they took full advantage, prevailing for a 57-53 victory.
The win avenged a 58-42 loss on Dec. 21 for what to date was the Falcons only loss of the season and extended their winning streak to seven games. Playing for the first time in more than two weeks, they improved their overall record for the season to 13-1.
Nick Kerr scored 19 points to lead the Falcons and Max Heller added 15 points. Matt Spelich contributed 11 points and five rebounds, and Ray Xu had five assists and six rebounds.
- Santa Fe Christian defeated Tri-City Christian of Vista 74-34 in a Coastal League North opener for both teams on Jan. 15, with Karl Holmlund scoring 16 points to lead the Eagles and Kyle Hubbard adding 13 points.
A day later the Eagles lost to Rancho Bernardo 51-42 in a nonleague Martin Luther King tournament game at Horizon High of San Diego. Cade Gotta scored 13 points to lead the Eagles and Holmlund added 12 points.
The Eagles overall record for the season fell to 12-5.
- Canyon Crest Academy upset La Jolla Country Day with a 46-36 win in a Coastal League South opener for both teams on Jan. 15. Mac Biblowitz scored 16 points to lead the Ravens and Max McCarthy and Cory Osetkowski added 11 and 10 points, respectively.
The Ravens improved their overall record for the season to 10-8.
- San Diego Jewish Academy opened Citrus West League play with a decisive 70-32 victory over Calvary Christian of Vista.
Jacob Katz scored a game-high 16 points and pulled down 12 rebounds to lead a balanced Lions offense. Stan Kaplun scored 13 points and had four assists and six steals, and Seth Cohen and Jordan Sharf each added 10 points. Cohen also contributed nine rebounds.
The Lions improved their overall record for the season to 5-4.
- Cathedral Catholic fell to 0-3 in Western League play after a 52-34 loss to La Jolla on Jan. 15.
Jack Enright scored nine points in defeat for the Dons and Corey Garcia added eight points. The loss dropped the defending San Diego Section Div. III finalist Dons’ overall record for the season to 7-7.
- Canyon Crest Academy had a six-game winning streak snapped when the Ravens lost to La Jolla Country Day 64-20 in a Coastal League South opener for both teams on Jan. 15.
Tasha Quintana scored six points in defeat for the Ravens and Kathryn Brandos added five points.
The Ravens defeated San Dieguito Academy of Encinitas 53-31 in a nonleague game on Jan. 12 for their season-high sixth straight win when Quintana scored 15 points to lead her team and Nicole Leonard added 12 points.
The Ravens overall record for the season fell to 11-6.
- A huge effort from Torrey Pines standout Heather Serven wasn’t enough to preserve a three-game Falcons winning streak.
Serven scored 32 points in a 73-60 nonleague loss to Poway on Jan. 15.
The loss followed a 75-52 nonleague victory over Rancho Buena Vista two days earlier in which Serven scored 19 points and Fantine Giap and Megan McClurg each added 12 points to lead the Falcons.
The Falcons overall record for the season fell to 10-6.
- Cathedral Catholic defeated Lincoln of San Diego 68-47 in a Western League game on Jan. 12. Christina Kime scored 19 points to lead the Dons and Wendy Anae added 14 points.
The Dons improved to 1-1 in league and 7-9 overall for the season.
- Santa Fe Christian lost to Tri-City Christian of Vista 55-45 in a Coastal League North opener for both teams.
Brittany Bushor scored 13 points and pulled down nine rebounds to lead the Eagles, and Kiara Quinn added 12 points and had three steals. Other key contributors for the Eagles were Makenna White, who scored 10 points and had eight rebounds, and Lauren Marrs (six points, seven rebounds) and Katie Weisenberger (six assists, five steals, four points).
- Torrey Pines defeated Vista 2-1 in a nonleague game on Jan. 13.
Katherine Trees and Taylor Sims each scored one goal for the Falcons, who won their third straight game and their sixth in seven games.
Olivia Buechler and Mary Harrah each had one assist for the Falcons, and goalie Courtney Massimino recorded four saves.
The Falcons improved their overall record for the season to 7-3.
- Falcons strong despite layoff
- First-place Falcons improve record
- Falcons victorious in tourney
- Sports Briefs: Cathedral Catholic extends lead in girls basketball
- Week in Sports: Falcons’ basketball title aspirations alive
Short URL: http://www.delmartimes.net/?p=3587