Local Rotarians step up effort for Haiti
The Del Mar Rotary and Del Mar Solana Beach Sunrise Rotary clubs raised a combined $9,420 during the past week for the relief effort in Haiti.
About half of this money will go to Rotarians and workers on the ground in Haiti, while most of the rest will be spent on “shelter boxes.” These survival kits, at $1,000 each, include a 10-person tent, tools, mosquito netting and rain gear, among other items.
Del Mar Rotary member Robert Mullally visited Haiti several times while he was living in Jamaica. He said it is the poorest country he has ever been to and in desperate need of help.
“The people that were dead might end up being the lucky ones,” he said. “I’m in touch with Rotarians there that have satellite phones, and they’re numb.”
Go to www.delmarrotary.org.
— Jonathan Horn
- Sempra to give $50,000 to Haiti relief effort
- Wisdom of local woman featured in new book
- Del Mar Rotary’s Sunset Soiree raises funds for children
- Relief efforts for earthquake victims in Haiti include fundraising and a memorial service
- Del Mar Rotary asked to help Guatemalans
Short URL: http://www.delmartimes.net/?p=4874