Falcons bounce back, winning 3 after first loss
- A surprising setback in the first week of Avocado League play apparently hasn’t slowed the Torrey Pines juggernaut much at all.
The Falcons bounced back from their Jan. 22 loss to Escondido in emphatic fashion, reeling off three consecutive victories.
They defeated Mission Hills 65-49 and La Costa Canyon 48-43 in league games on Jan. 27 and 29. They also defeated Santa Monica 52-47 in a nonleague State Preview Challenge game on Jan. 30. The Falcons improved their overall record for the season to 18-2, and pushed their league record to 3-1.
Nick Kerr scored 16 points and Max Heller added 13 points to lead the Falcons in the Santa Monica game.
Heller and Kerr each scored 17 points to lead the Falcons in the LCC game.
Heller led the Falcons with 19 points in the Mission Hills game, and C.M. Vafiadis and Amir Begovic added 11 and 10 points, respectively.
- Santa Fe Christian improved to 4-0 in Coastal League play after a decisive 63-48 victory over Army-Navy on Jan. 29.
The victory followed a tough 46-43 nonleague loss to La Jolla County Day two days earlier.
Kyle Hubbard scored 22 points to lead the Eagles in the Army-Navy game and Karl Holmlund and Cade Gotta added 16 and 13 points, respectively.
Hubbard led the Eagles with 11 points in the LJCD game.
The Eagles improved to 15-6 overall for the season.
- Cathedral Catholic defeated Mission Bay of San Diego in a Western League game on Jan. 26.
Jack Enright scored 16 points to lead the Dons and Marco Kengott added seven points.
The Dons improved to 2-4 in league and 9-8 overall for the season.
- Cathedral Catholic kept itself in the Western League title hunt as the Dons defeated Mission Bay of San Diego 45-36 on Jan. 26.
The victory kept the Dons (5-1 in league, 11-10 overall for the season) within a game in the loss column of first place Our Lady of the Peace of San Diego (7-0 in league) going into the second half of league play.
Kristina Kime scored 22 points and had seven rebounds and five assists to lead the Dons.
Malia Nawahine added 11 points and Carolyn Frank pulled down 11 boards for the Dons.
Torrey Pines experienced its first Avocado League loss, 77-52 to La Costa Canyon on Jan. 29.
The Falcons two days earlier defeated Mission Hills of San Marcos 81-66 in a league game. The Falcons fell to 3-1 in league and 13-7 overall for the season.
Megan Fennessy and Krisitin Nasella each scored 12 points to lead the Falcons in the LCC game and Heather Serven added 11 points.
Serven poured in 38 points to lead the Falcons in the Mission Hills game.and Megan McClung added 20 points. Fennessy, who leads the Falcons in rebounds for the season, pulled down 10 boards.
- Canyon Crest Academy’s four-game winning streak was snapped when Ravens lost to Bishop’s 61-51 in a Coastal League South game on Jan. 29.
The Ravens routed Point Loma of San Diego 76-9 in a nonleague game two days earlier.
Nicole Leonard scored 20 points in defeat for the Ravens against Bishop’s. Leonard scored 25 points and Quintana added 22 points to lead the Ravens in the Point Loma game.
The Ravens fell to 2-2 in league and 15-8 overall for the season.
- Torrey Pines extended its winning to streak to six games with a decisive 5-2 Avocado League victory over La Costa Canyon on Jan. 29. The victory followed a 5-0 win against Mission Hills two days earlier.
Kory Spots scored three goals to lead the Falcons in the LCC game and Andrea Taylor and Olivia Buechler each scored one goal.
Falcons goalie Alexandra Baily had six saves and Nicole Sherwin had two assists. Buechler scored two goals and had two assists to lead the Falcons in the Mission Hills game. Nicole Sherwin scored two goals and Katherine Trees had one goal and two assists.
Falcons goalie Heather Schlesier, who was credited with the shutout, had two saves.
The Falcons improved to 3-0 in league and 10-3 overall for the season.
- Cathedral Catholic defeated University City 2-1 in a Western League game on Jan. 28.
Jamie Schnieders and Brittany Ermita each scored one goal for the Dons, who bounced back from a tough 4-0 league loss to La Jolla two days earlier. Kaitlin Ballantyne and Lisa Benito each had one assist for the Dons.
The Dons improved to 2-2 in league and 9-5-4 overall for the season.
Cathedral Catholic defeated Mission Bay of San Diego 3-0 in a Western League game on Jan. 27 as the Dons won their sixth straight game and recorded their third straight shutout.
Colin Maehler, Jared Hegardt and Mike Semenza each scored one goal to lead the Dons, and goalie Drew Ilijevski recorded eight saves.
The Dons improved to 2-0 in league and 9-2-2 overall for the season.
San Diego Jewish Academy’s 10-game unbeaten streak to start the season ended with 4-2 loss to La Jolla Country Day on Jan. 26.
Sean Callahan scored both Lions goals, one on an assist from Carlos Michon and the other unassisted.
- Falcons avenge loss to Maranatha Christian
- Falcons strong despite layoff
- Week in Sports: Falcons’ basketball title aspirations alive
- First-place Falcons improve record
- Dons’ winning streak ends in narrow loss
Short URL: http://www.delmartimes.net/?p=3589