Rare silent film shown during First Thursday
Subscribers to the First Thursdays series at the Powerhouse in Del Mar viewed a rare silent film with live, musical accompaniment on Feb. 4. The film, “The Curse of Quon Gwon,” is the earliest known Chinese-American feature film. It was presented by Mai Lon Gittelsohn, whose family members had roles in the film. Gittelsohn’s mother, Violet Wong, starred as the bride.
Judith Rosenberg, music director of the Mills College Dance Department, provided keyboard music to enhance the movie. In 2006, the Library of Congress placed the movie on the National Film Registry.
— Virginia Lawrence
- Hong Kong born actress premieres film in Del Mar
- Torrey Pines High School grads’ film a finalist in Slamdance festival
- Carmel Valley Women’s Institute hosts ‘You’ film screening
- LJ Playhouse names new managing director
- Jewish Film Festival schedule of events
Short URL: http://www.delmartimes.net/?p=6003