Boat captured off Encinitas occupied by 17 undocumented immigrants
Federal agents captured a fishing boat occupied by 17 undocumented immigrants in the ocean off the coast of northern San Diego County early Wednesday.
The government officers were patrolling several miles offshore from the Leucadia neighborhood of Encinitas about 3:30 a.m. when they spotted the 36-foot vessel, according to U.S. Customs and Border Protection.
Following a brief water pursuit, the migrants — 12 men, four women and a 16-year-old boy, all Mexican citizens in the Unites States illegally — surrendered and were taken into custody along with the fishing craft. Border Patrol personnel then took custody of the detainees.
On Tuesday night, CBP agents found nearly 1,000 pounds of marijuana hidden underneath the cabin of a seemingly abandoned powerboat tied to a dock on Mission Bay, the agency reported. The personnel seized the cannabis and impounded the California-registered vessel. No arrests were announced.
- Boat found off Torrey Pines with undocumented immigrants
- 21 suspected illegal immigrants arrested over weekend
- 20 Mexican nationals arrested on Carlsbad beach
- Suspected smuggling boat found near Torrey Pines golf Course
- Vessel carrying 22 illegal immigrants intercepted
Short URL: http://www.delmartimes.net/?p=2148