San Onofre Nuclear Generator at 25 percent of nuclear capacity

Southern California’s only big nuclear reactor complex remains throttled down to just 25 percent of its power capacity, as its owner saves fuel to meet power demands next summer, it was reported Saturday.

The San Onofre Nuclear Generating Station, on the San Diego-Orange county line, has one nuclear reactor working at half capacity, and the other shut off completely, the San Diego Union-Tribune reported.

The plant’s Unit 3 will remain at half capacity for about 45 days and will be brought up to full power output when demand requires it this summer, said Gil Alexander, a spokesman for plant operator Southern California Edison, to the newspaper.

San Onofre’s Unit 2 remains in shutdown mode following replacement of its central steam generators last fall. Alexander told the newspaper that its restart has been delayed due to problems with the generator replacement, which involved cutting in to the massive radiation containment dome visible next to Interstate 5 at the north end of Camp Pendleton.

The utility will not say when Unit 2 will be restated for proprietary reasons, Alexander told the Union-Tribune. The plant’s Unit 1 was declared obsolete and removed long ago.

At full capacity, the nuclear station can generate 2.2 billion watts of electricity, enough to supply 1.5 million residences. Edison owns 78 percent of it, San Diego Gas & Electric Co. owns 20 percent of it, and the City of Riverside owns 2 percent of it.

Earlier this month, the federal Nuclear Regulatory Commission issued two reports criticizing the nuclear plant operators for failing to maintain an atmosphere of safety an non-retaliation for its workers, and for failing to draw up an acceptable plan to avoid a repeat of backup battery problems first noticed two years ago.

Related posts:

  1. Work continues on San Onofre Nuclear Generating Station
  2. Edison to replace steam generators at San Onofre
  3. New generators on way to nuclear power plant
  4. Regulators: Local nuclear station had inoperable safety systems
  5. Completion of artificial reef announced

Short URL: http://www.delmartimes.net/?p=6427

Posted by on Mar 13, 2010. Filed under Archives. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. You can leave a response or trackback to this entry

Leave a Reply

Archives

Facebook

Bottom Buttons 1

Bottom Buttons 2

Bottom Buttons 3

Bottom Buttons 4

Bottom Buttons 5

Bottom Buttons 6

LA JOLLA NEWS

RANCHO SANTA FE NEWS

RANCHO SANTA FE NEWS

RSS RANCHO SANTA FE NEWS

  • Rancho Santa Fe School to host several Common Core parent information sessions
    The Rancho Santa Fe School District is offering several upcoming information sessions for parents about the Common Core State Standards, which went into effect this fall. All of the information sessions will be held in the Performing Arts Center and will be followed by classroom tours. The dates include: • Sept. 23 at 8:05 a.m. K-5 mathematics curriculum ove […]
  • Rancho Santa Fe School’s Prop 39 projects moving forward
    The Rancho Santa Fe School District will take advantage of funding from Prop 39, the Clean Energy Jobs Act to help make its school more energy-efficient. […]
  • Traffic collision on La Granada in Rancho Santa Fe sends four to hospital
    On Tuesday, Sept. 16, at 2:34 p.m., firefighters from the Rancho Santa Fe Fire Protection District and Encinitas Fire Department responded to the report of a traffic collision on La Granada near the intersection of Rambla de las Flores. When they arrived on the scene, rescue crews found a mid-sized sedan and SUV had collided. Crews quickly worked to extricat […]