Torrey Pines pitcher DeNato shows versatility in season opener
- Torrey Pines pitching standout Joey DeNato can beat you just as easily with his bat as he can with his arm.
The University of Indiana-bound DeNato showcased both tools in a 4-1 victory over Point Loma of San Diego on March 13 as the Falcons improved to 3-1 in the season-opening Falcon-Pirate tournament.
DeNato pitched a five-hitter, and for a second straight game he homered and drove in three runs.
DeNato homered and had three RBI in a 7-1 Falcon-Pirate tournament win against Mira Mesa of San Diego on March 11.
Garrett Stubbs had two doubles and Morgan Oliver contributed two hits, including a double, in the Point Loma game.
Reed Mason and Josh Sabourin combined on a three-hitter for the Falcons against Mira Mesa.
- San Diego Jewish Academy pitching sensation Michael Fagan is at it again.
The senior lefty pitched a no-hitter to lead the Lions to a 2-0 nonleague victory over Calvary Christian of Vista on March 10. He struck out 15 batters and allowed four walks, as he extended his hitless streak to start the season to a stunning 13 consecutive innings.
Fagan, who pitched six innings of no-hit ball in an 11-2 victory over Foothills Christian of El Cajon on March 4, has combined for 29 strikeouts in his first two outings.
Jorge Adler had two hits including a double and two RBI to lead the Lions offensively in the Calvin Christian game.
The victory followed a 15-2 nonleague win against Midway Baptist of San Diego on March 9.
Zev Warhaft had two hits and four RBI to lead the Lions in the Midway Baptist game and Ricky Pamensky added two hits and three RBI.
Lions starter Warhaft pitched four shutout innings of no-hit ball for the win. He struck out five batters and allowed four walks.
The Lions improved their overall record for the season to 4-0.
- Cathedral Catholic won two of its first three games at the Hilltop of Chula Vista Lolita’s tournament.
The Dons opened with an 11-4 win against Escondido on March 9 and defeated Poway 4-2 two days later. They lost to tournament host Hilltop 2-0 on March 13.
Ray Lowder and Nick Fornaca each had two hits to lead the Dons in the Poway game.
Dons starter Daniel Camarena pitched four innings of three-hit ball but was not involved in the decision. He struck out three batters and allowed one unearned run.
Nico Garbella, who relieved Camarena in the fifth, pitched three innings for the win.
- Torrey Pines had its five-game unbeaten streak to start the season snapped as the Falcons lost to Granite Hills of El Cajon 1-0 in a Cougar Classic tournament game on March 13.
The Falcons opened the tournament with a 3-2 victory over San Marcos on March 10 and beat Steele Canyon of Spring Valley 1-0 the next day to extend their winning streak to four games.
The Falcons played Cathedral Catholic to a 7-7 tie on March 12.
Falcons starter Kayla Silverstein struck out 10 batters and allowed two runs (one earned) on five hits and two walks in 5 2/3 innings to get the win in the San Marcos game.
Kristen Filicia had a double and a triple to lead the Falcons offensively, and Lauren Hynes added two hits.
Falcons starter Rachel Nasland struck out five batters in four innings for the win in the Steele Canyon game, combining with Hynes on a one-hit shutout.
- Beth Smentana had three hits including a homer to lead Cathedral Catholic in a game called in the sixth inning for going past the time limit. Hynes and Madeleine Tayer each had two hits to lead the Falcons.
The Falcons fell to 4-1-1 overall for the season.
Track and field:
- Torrey Pines girls’ distance runner Megan Morgan was among several local standouts with strong showings at the March 13 Bronco Invitational at Rancho Bernardo High.
Morgan, an elite cross-country runner, placed second in the girls’ 1,600-meter race. She clocked a 4:47.95, close behind Rancho Bernardo’s Molly Grabill (4:55.60).
Ashlyn Dadkah (5:04.02) placed third for the Falcons.
- Santa Fe Christian sprinter Jenna Puterbaugh won the girls’ 100 in 12.17.
- Cathedral Catholic won the 1,600 relay, clocking a 4:03.23.
- In the boys’ circuit, Torrey Pines’ Bassim El-Sabawi won the 100 in 10.76 in a photo-finish ahead of Mira Mesa of San Diego’s Shamone Fletcher (10.91).
- Santa Fe Christian opened its season with a 3-1 (25-12, 22-25, 25-21, 25-12) victory over Patrick Henry of San Diego on March 10.
Tyler Davis led the Eagles with 12 kills.
- Week in Sports: DeNato leads way for Falcons baseball
- Week in Sports: Falcons pitching makes difference
- Week in Sports: SFC Eagles take Lions tourney title
- Week in Sports: Dons improve their record with win over Grossmont
- Falcons fall in boys basketball semifinal
Short URL: http://www.delmartimes.net/?p=7493