San Diego Jewish Academy maintains perfect baseball record
- The little engine has kicked into overdrive.
Tiny San Diego Jewish Academy won its sixth straight baseball game to start the season, trouncing Christian Life Academy of Escondido, 9-1, in a Citrus League West game on March 18.
The Lions two days earlier defeated High Tech High, 7-5, in a nonleague game.
Strikeout king Michael Fagan fanned 18 batters to lead the Lions in the CLA game. Fagan, who was credited with the victory, allowed one unearned run on two hits and three walks. He surrendered his first hit of the season in his third start.
So far this season, Fagan has struck out 47 batters and allowed 12 walks, two hits and no earned runs in 20 innings.
Fagan helped himself with three hits including a triple and three RBI. Sean Callahan and Adam Maman each contributed two hits for the Lions.
David Raimi sparked the Lions in the High Tech game with two hits including a triple and thee RBI. Zev Warhaft and Jorge Adler each contributed two hits.
The Lions improved to 5-0 in league and 6-0 overall for the season.
- Torrey Pines lost to La Costa Canyon of Carlsbad, 6-4, in the Falcon-Pirate title game on March 20.
The Falcons advanced to the finals after defeating San Marcos, 5-4, on March 16 to finish 3-1 in pool play.
Shane Bingham hit a solo homer and Garrett Stubbs had two hits, including a double, to lead the Falcons offensively in the LCC game.
Falcons reliever Reed Mason struck out six batters in four shutout innings of two-hit ball to get the win in the San Marcos game.
Joey DeNato Evan Mason and Zack Zehner each had two hits to lead the Falcons.
The Falcons’ overall record for the season fell to 4-2.
- Cathedral Catholic lost to Valhalla of El Cajon, 5-4, in the Lolita’s Hilltop tournament on March 20.
The Dons advanced to the finals after defeating Rancho Buena Vista of Vista, 5-4, on March 16.
Daniel Camarena had one hit and two RBI to lead the Dons offensively in the Valhalla game.
Camarena doubled twice and had one RBI and Casey Munoz had two hits and two RBI to lead the Dons in the RBV game.
The Dons fell to 4-2 overall for the season.
- Santa Fe Christian defeated West Salem of Salem, Ore., 16-9 in a Coach Bob National Tournament game in Phoenix, Ariz., on March 20.
The Eagles went 3-1 in the tournament and improved their overall record for the season to 4-1-1.
The Eagles opened the tournament with an 18-2 thrashing of San Elizario, Texas, on March 19. They beat Tolleson (Ariz.) later in the day, 14-3, but lost to Mullen, 6-2, on March 20.
Cade Gotta had four hits, Ethan Ogden had two hits and three RBI, and Nolan Gannon hit a homer and drove in three runs to lead the Eagles offensively in the West Salem game.
Ogden had three hits and three RBI in the San Elizario game,
Eagles reliever Kent Weaver allowed six hits and two runs in four innings to get the victory.
Gotta led the Eagles hitting .500 (8 for 16) in the tournament.
- Canyon Crest Academy defeated La Jolla Country Day, 6-4, in a Christian Patriot tournament game on March 17.
Chris Hynes had two hits including a triple and two RBI and Wyatt Thomas contributed a double and two RBI to lead the Ravens offensively.
The Ravens improved their overall record for the season to 3-5.
- Unbeaten Torrey Pines defeated Foothill of Pleasanton (near Oakland), 7-5, to win the Gold Division of the Westview tournament on March 20.
Caroline Boucher, Julia Colley and Stephanie Cowles each scored two goals to lead the Falcons, and goalie Carrie Yang had nine saves.
The Falcons had gone 4-0 in pool play earlier in the day to advance to the finals.
The Falcons defeated La Jolla, 10-6; St. Margaret’s of San Juan Capistrano, 11-8; El Toro of Lake Forest, 12-8, and Santa Fe Christian, 9-8.
Boucher scored five goals to lead the Falcons in the La Jolla game, and Yang had 12 saves.
Anna Knowles led the Falcons with four goals against St. Margaret’s and Cowles scored four goals in the El Toro game.
Yang had 17 saves in the Santa Fe Christian game.
The Falcons improved their overall record for the season to 6-0.
- Santa Fe Christian defeated Canyon Crest Academy, 11-8, in a Coastal League game on March 19.
Amy Robertson scored four goals to lead the Eagles, and goalie Jessica Nelson had seven saves.
The Eagles improved to 2-0 in league and 3-1 overall for the season.
Torrey Pines trounced La Jolla, 14-3, in a nonleague game on March 19.
Kevin Hurt scored five goals to lead the Falcons, and Lucas Gradinger had six assists. Falcons’ goalies Alex Perkins and Jake Kennedy combined for five saves.
- Week in Sports: DeNato leads way for Falcons baseball
- SD Jewish Academy launches 11-man football season
- Eagles stay perfect in boys hoops league play
- Week in sports: Torrey Pines girls soccer keeps league record perfect
- Week in Sports: Falcons pitching makes difference
Short URL: http://www.delmartimes.net/?p=6376