Dynamic duo make Falcons history
- Within a 48-hour stretch, Lauren Hynes and Rachel Nasland did what high school sports historians don’t think has ever been done before.
Torrey Pines’ dynamic pitching duo threw consecutive no-hitters — believed to be the first time in county history different pitchers tossed back-to-back no-noes — as the torrid Falcons remained unbeaten in Avocado League play.
Nasland, a freshman, hurled the first one on May 11 in a 6-0 league victory over Mission Hills.
Hynes, a sophomore, followed suit two days later in a 7-0 league win against Fallbrook.
Nasland struck out a career-high 16 batters and allowed one walk. She reached double digits in strikeouts for the sixth time in 11 starts. Nasland struck out 13 batters (her previous high) three times.
Hynes struck out seven batters and allowed one walk.
Hynes led the Falcons offensively in both games. She had two hits with a double and two RBI in the Mission Hills game, and had two hits and knocked in three runs against Fallbrook.
The Falcons improved to 8-0 in league and 22-4-2 overall for the season.
- Santa Fe Christian remained unbeaten in Coastal League North play as the Eagles stretched their winning streak to 10 games.
The Eagles defeated Tri-City Christian and San Dieguito Academy 7-2 and 16-6 in league games May 11 and 13.
Cade Gotta had two doubles and was among five Eagles players with two hits in the Tri-City Christian game.
Trevyn Reese sparked the Eagles against San Dieguito Academy, going 3-for-5 with two homers and three RBI.
The Eagles combined for 19 hits.
Ethan Ogden had three hits and four RBI, Nolan Gannon had two hits including a double and three RBI and Bobby Zarubin had three hits with a double.
The Eagles improved to 8-0 in league and 17-4-1 overall for the season.
- Torrey Pines had its 14-game winning streak snapped as the Falcons were knocked out of first place in the Avocado League after losing two games to La Costa Canyon.
LCC defeated the Falcon 4-3 on May 12 and 4-2 two days later.
Garrett Stubbs went 3-for-3 with a double and Josh Sabourin homered and drove in two runs to lead the Falcons offensively in the first game.
Joey DeNato took the loss despite striking out 10 batters and allowing four runs (three earned) on seven hits and three walks in a complete game effort.
Stubbs and Andre Goodman each had two hits for the Falcons in the second game.
The Falcons fell to 12-2 in league and 22-8 overall for the season.
- Cathedral Catholic moved into sole possession of first place in the Western league after sweeping a two-game series from Coronado.
The Dons defeated Coronado 3-0 on May 12 and 11-4 two days later.
Danny Tyson pitched a four-hit shutout, striking out 11 batters and allowing no walks to lead the Dons in the first game.
Stephen Haviar homered twice and drove in four runs to lead the Dons in the second game.
The Dons improved to 8-2 in league and 16-9 overall for the season.
- Cathedral Catholic defeated Clairemont 3-0 (25-17,25-22, 25-13) in a San Diego Section Div. III quarterfinal match on May 15.
Ryan McLaughlin led the Dons with 11 kills, and Stephen Schroeder contributed eight digs.
The Dons improved their overall record for the season to 21-10.
- Santa Fe Christian defeated Coronado 3-0 (25-16, 25-18, 25-23) in a Div. IV quarterfinal on May 13.
Kyle Hubbard and Decker Davis each had 10 kills to lead the Eagles.
SFC setter Dane Holmgren contributed 30 assists.
The Eagles improved their overall record for the season to 19-3.
- Torrey Pines lost to La Costa Canyon of Carlsbad 3-0 (25-16, 25- 23, 25-18) in a Div. I quarterfinal on May 15.
Clint Hall led the Falcons with 15 kills.
The Falcons finished the season with an 18-13 overall mark.
- Canyon Crest Academy lost to Ramona 3-1 (25-18, 25-28, 25-23, 25-19) in a Div. III quarterfinal.
The Ravens fell to 12-6 overall for the season.
- Cathedral Catholic defeated Pacific Ridge 15-5 in a nonleague game on May 14.
Jill Scheurnan and Carissa Fischer each scored four goals to lead the Dons, and goalie Erica Schuletis had six saves.
- Torrey Pines defeated Rancho Bernardo 16-5 in a Palomar league game on May 13.
Caroline Boucher scored five goals to lead the Falcons, and Anna Knowles added four goals.
Falcons goalie Carrie Yang made 12 saves.
The Falcons improved to 7-1 in league and 23-1 overall for the season.
- Falcons on a roll with 11 straight wins
- TP volleyball stays unbeaten; Falcons defeat SM’s Mission Hills
- Falcons finish NCC Tourney with two big wins
- Week in Sports: Falcons pitching makes difference
- Week in Sports: Falcons’ pitching adds might to strong team
Short URL: http://www.delmartimes.net/?p=3383