Holiday crashes claim three lives
Traffic accidents claimed three lives on San Diego-area roadways over the Memorial Day weekend, authorities said Tuesday.
During the same 78-hour span, California Highway Patrol officers arrested 76 motorists on suspicion of driving while intoxicated in the region, compared with 104 in the comparable period last year.
Last year, there were no traffic fatalities in San Diego County over the three-day period.
Statewide, 17 people died in traffic crashes and 1,541 drivers were jailed on suspicion of DUI charges between 6 p.m. Friday and 11:59 p.m. Monday, the CHP reported.
In 2009, 45 people died in collisions in California over the Memorial Day weekend, and 1,465 motorists were booked on charges of driving while inebriated.
- County roads relatively safe over holiday weekend
- CHP reports two deaths over holiday weekend
- Fewer drunk driving arrests reported
- DUI arrests rise during holiday period
- One fatality reported over busy holiday weekend
Short URL: http://www.delmartimes.net/?p=4220