Supervisors approve $4.95 billion county budget

By JAMES R. RIFFEL
City News Service
The San Diego County Board of Supervisors on Tuesday unanimously approved a $4.95 billion spending plan for the 2010-11 fiscal year beginning Thursday, a drop of nearly 3 percent from the current year.

The supervisors approved a $5.2 billion budget at this time last year.

The 2010-11 spending plan funds 15,841 employee positions, down from about 17,000 a year ago.

County officials had to lay off workers during the past year because of what Supervisor Dianne Jacob characterized as “a triple whammy” budget crunch resulting from lowered state revenue, drops in income from sales and property taxes and investment losses.

“It is the most difficult budget situation that I have faced since I have been on the board,” Jacob said.

Investment losses on Wall Street will force the county to increase contributions to its employee retirement fund.

Jacob and other board members took turns blasting state officials for failing to address budget issues at the state level and continually reducing contributions to local governments — which are supposed to fund programs mandated by the Legislature.

Legislators were playing “Russian roulette” with the state budget, Supervisor Ron Roberts said.

When the state gets around to approving its own budget, “all but certain cuts” will need to be made to the county spending plan, Chief Administrative Officer Walt Ekard said.

The budget will be officially approved on Aug. 3, by which time local officials hope to learn what directions state officials will take with their budget.

Spending will be maintained at around $1.3 billion for public safety and $1.85 billion for the Department of Health and Human Services, but agencies within the Land Use and Environment Group will take the lion’s share of the cuts.

Ekard is forecasting a $4.47 billion budget for 2011-12.

Related posts:

  1. Supervisors OK cutting 600 county jobs
  2. State proposes borrowing millions from SD City and County
  3. Supervisors approve fire tax ballot measure
  4. County to eliminate 27 positions
  5. Supervisors approve Greg Cox as director of airport authority

Short URL: http://www.delmartimes.net/?p=7138

Posted by on Jun 29, 2010. Filed under Archives. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. You can leave a response or trackback to this entry

Leave a Reply

Archives

Facebook

Bottom Buttons 1

Bottom Buttons 2

Bottom Buttons 3

Bottom Buttons 4

Bottom Buttons 5

Bottom Buttons 6

LA JOLLA NEWS

RANCHO SANTA FE NEWS

RANCHO SANTA FE NEWS

RSS RANCHO SANTA FE NEWS

  • Rancho Santa Fe Rotary Club to present second ‘Taste of Rancho Santa Fe’
    The Rancho Santa Fe Rotary Club continues to live up to the motto, “Service Above Self,” and invites you to partner with the Rotary Club at the 2nd Annual Taste of Rancho Santa Fe on Oct. 12. Guests of the event, to be held from 4-7 p.m., will have an opportunity to stroll through the historic and iconic grounds of The Inn at Rancho Santa Fe while sampling f […]
  • Melodrama to open at Village Church Community Theater in Rancho Santa Fe
    As part of the Rancho Days celebration in Rancho Santa Fe, “The Saga of Sagebrush Sal, A Comedy Western Melodrama” is set to open Oct. 5 at the Village Church Community Theater. In this old-fashioned comic melodrama, Sagebrush Sal decides to take over the busiest establishment in town, The Bloody Turnip Saloon, which is owned by Jake the Snake. The audience […]
  • Rancho Santa Fe Historical Society acquires Covenant founder’s ledger
    The Rancho Santa Fe Historical Society has acquired the ledger of Barton Millard, which dates back to the 1920s, and will unveil it at Coffee On The Patio Saturday, Sept. 20, at 10:30 a.m. at La Flecha House. Millard was a founding member of the Rancho Santa Fe Association, co-wrote the initial CC&Bs, and served four terms as its president. Millard’s gra […]