Authorities confirm suicide was cause of Carlsbad treasurer’s death
Carlsbad City Treasurer Harold McSherry, who was found dead this week in his office, committed suicide by asphyxiation, authorities confirmed Friday.
On Wednesday, McSherry’s son contacted police to request a welfare check at his 59-year-old father’s home. When officers did not find the elder McSherry there, they went to the State Street office complex where he kept a workspace, finding him dead on the floor, Lt. Bill Rowland said.
An autopsy determined that McSherry, who was suffering from brain cancer, committed suicide by putting plastic bags over his head and inhaling nitrogen gas, according to the San Diego County Medical Examiner’s Office.
McSherry was elected city treasurer in Carlsbad in 2006.
- Autopsy determines cause of volleyball player’s death
- SD County Treasurer to hold online auction
- OnLife goes online to prevent teen suicide
- Researchers find no evidence of Carlsbad cancer cluster
- Sheriff: Hot tub death not deemed suspicious
Short URL: http://www.delmartimes.net/?p=2003