Del Mar Fairgrounds an anachronism
The Del Mar Fairgrounds dust-up is so much silliness. The fairgrounds is an anachronism; horse racing is a dying activity and a county fair held for a few weeks amid some of the wealthiest ZIP codes in the country is absurd (not to mention gun shows and home improvement expos).
The whole area should be re-purposed. It would make a wonderful college campus, a high-tech or laboratory park, or a multi-use activity center. Any of those uses would be more in fitting with the environs.
Look at it this way: If the facility never existed and the state was scouting around the county for a fairgrounds site, would they now choose this parcel at the corner of Del Mar, Solana Beach and Rancho Santa Fe? Not likely. Qualcomm, yes; Oceanside, yes.
Do the right thing for a change, public servants and leaders: Turn the earth over there and make way for a 21st century tenant.
- Fairgrounds officially selling name
- Del Mar releases Resolution of Intent regarding fairgrounds purchase
- DM Fairgrounds sells naming rights to Albertsons
- Crawford: Sale of OC Fairgrounds ‘encouraging’
- Fairgrounds stable despite recession
Short URL: http://www.delmartimes.net/?p=19515