Solana Beach resident Kate Deering loves to help others stay fit
The thought of running back-to-back races for six months straight may sound daunting to some. But Kate Deering had good reasons motivating her: Every step she took was helping raise money for Stand Up for Kids, a nonprofit that helps homeless children. After running a total of 55 miles, Deering raised $3,000, which was used to help a few girls get off the street and into a tech school. “I love helping anyone who is willing to do the work and help themselves,” she said of the experience.
1. What brought you to Solana Beach?
Initially, it was the desire for a better life. Now, what keeps me here is the ocean, the beach and the convenient access to the highway.
2. What makes this town special to you?
I love the energy, the clean air, the beautiful beaches, and the healthy lifestyle that goes with all of that.
3. If you could snap your fingers and have it done, what might you add, subtract or improve in the area?
I would add better public transportation so that there would be less traffic.
4. Who or what inspires you?
Authenticity inspires me. Anyone who is living their passion and dream is an inspiration to me.
5. If you hosted a dinner party for eight, whom (living or deceased) would you invite?
I would invite Oprah, Madonna, Jesus, Ghandi, Paul Chek, Hillary Clinton, Martin Luther King, Ellen Degeneres
6. Tell us about what you are currently reading.
“Under the Veil of Deception” by Paul Chek. It’s about organic farming.
7. What is your most-prized possession?
My dog, Bugsy.
8. What do you do for fun?
I read, write, run, go to dog beach, have dinner with friends, and travel to Los Angeles and Palm Springs.
9. Please describe your greatest accomplishment.
Moving here from Atlanta, Georgia, with no job, no friends and no contacts. I wanted a better life than I was living. Everyone told me I was crazy. Since then, I have bought a home, started my own fitness and nutritional consulting business, and have been prospering for the last five years.
10. What is your motto or philosophy of life?
Never let anyone tell you that you can’t do it. If you want it, go after it and never, ever give up!
The above was compiled by staff writer Marlena Chavira-Medford. If you would like to be considered for this feature, or know someone you’d like to recommend, send an email to email@example.com or call 858.756.1451.
- Solana Beach resident helps others — especially veterans — through art therapy
- Solana Beach artists’ work showcased at new Rady Children’s Hospital
- Solana Beach resident named director of SurfAid International
- Former Solana Beach resident celebrates 109th birthday
- Solana Beach wants part ownership of fairgrounds
Short URL: http://www.delmartimes.net/?p=20153