Solana Beach resident Marty Burnett creates a rewarding living in theater
For nearly 20 years, Solana Beach resident Marty Burnett has been one of the artistic masterminds at North Coast Repertory Theatre. As its scenic designer and technical director, he’s created sets for more than 129 shows — a tall order considering he’s often limited by lack of square footage in the small space, requiring some extensive creativity to do more with less.
Burnett, who graduated from Creighton University in Nebraska, has worked in the theater business for 30 years. Throughout his career, Burnett has also designed sets for the Union Plaza, Sahara, and Hacienda hotels and casinos in Las Vegas; Harrah’s Lake Tahoe; The Claridge Hotel and Casino in Atlantic City; The Grand Hotel in Anaheim; and The Drury Lane in Chicago.
1. What brought you to this neighborhood?
I was hired by the North Coast Repertory Theatre here in Solana Beach in 1992.
2. What makes this town special to you?
I like the small town feeling, with a fabulous oceanic location.
3. If you could snap your fingers and have it done, what might you add, subtract or improve in the area?
I would add a brand new theater arts complex for the North Coast Repertory Theatre
4. Who or what inspires you?
I’m inspired by all of the people who volunteer their time and sweat to North Coast Repertory Theatre.
5. If you hosted a dinner party for eight, whom (living or deceased) would you invite?
I would invite some of the people who continue to help make North Coast Repertory Theatre a success: Judy Strick, Tom Carr, Linda Watts, Carol Carr, Sally Darlington Ward, Marjorie Halterman, our artistic David Ellenstein and his wife, Denise.
6. Tell us about what you are currently reading.
Plays and more plays – currently “The Drawer Boy.”
7. What is your most-prized possession?
8. What do you do for fun?
I enjoy hot-tubbing with friends.
9. Please describe your greatest accomplishment.
Making a living in the theater for 30 years!
10. What is your motto or philosophy of life?
Work hard – play soft.
The above was compiled by staff writer Marlena Chavira-Medford. If you would like to be considered for this feature, or know someone you’d like to recommend, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org or call (858) 756-1451.
- Solana Beach’s North Coast Repertory Theatre still going strong after 29 years
- North Coast Rep’s new theatre complex to be built at current site
- LJ Playhouse names Moxie Theatre as resident theater company
- Weinberg joins theater as development director
- North Coast Rep Theatre to hold play festival
Short URL: http://www.delmartimes.net/?p=20848