Canyon Crest Academy to host Gamelan Festival 2011
The Center for World Music and the Consulate General of the Republic of Indonesia in Los Angeles will present the Gamelan Festival 2011 on Friday, April 29, at 6 p.m. at Canyon Crest Academy, the first American high school to purchase a full Javanese gamelan and to enjoy year-round, weekly, on-campus instruction by a distinguished senior Javanese musician.
With dancers and musicians from both San Diego and Los Angeles, and trained by two distinguished Indonesian artist directors (Pak Djoko Walujo and Pak Ade Suparman), five local gamelan groups will participate: a professional Sundanese gamelan degung (Kembang Sunda); a children’s Balinese gamelan angklung; the Javanese gamelan from San Diego State University; the Javanese gamelan from CSU San Marcos; and the high school Javanese gamelan from Canyon Crest Academy.
The festival will celebrate the arrival and naming of the new Javanese gamelan at Canyon Crest Academy.
For more information, visit www.centerforworldmusic.org or to purchase tickets, visit www.brownpapertickets.com/event/168122
- Canyon Crest Academy presents ‘Festival of the Arts’ Jan. 8
- Canyon Crest Academy Festival of the Arts highlights students’ range
- Canyon Crest festival celebrates the arts
- Canyon Crest Academy Foundation’s Black Envelope fundraiser helps keep CCA ‘In The Black’
- Canyon Crest Academy Foundation kicks off ‘$50K for CCA’ college fund raffle drawing
Short URL: http://www.delmartimes.net/?p=23051