Del Mar-Solana Beach Rotary presents 2010-2011 Celebration of Service
On June 24, Del Mar–Solana Beach (DMSB) Sunrise Rotary President Jan Parsons highlighted the projects and accomplishments the club’s 33 active members achieved this past year in helping those less fortunate in local communities and the world. Some of the activities included:
• Handing out more than 6,000 bottles of water at Stand Down to homeless vets and volunteers.
• Supplying dictionaries to all 3rd graders in the Del Mar and Solana Beach public schools.
• Collecting food for military families in conjunction with MOM (Military Outreach Ministries).
• Helping the North County CRC (Community Resource Center) with its holiday basket program, toy drive, plant sale, and decorating and painting Carol’s House.
• Supporting SAY (Social Advocates for Youth) with their school garden project and kids’ golf program.
•Sending students from Canyon Crest Academy and other local schools to Model UN, RYLA (Rotary Youth Leadership Awards) and LEAD (Leadership, Ethics, And Determination) Camps and providing scholarships for 10 foster children to attend YMCA summer camp.
• Funding and visit to agricultural school and farm in San Vincente, El Salvador
• Completion of six matching grant projects including school supplies to Zambia and India, adult vocational training in El Salvador, bore well and latrine in Uganda, and water projects in India and Africa.
Highlights of the celebration included the presentation of checks of $5,623 to the club’s three major beneficiaries of funds raised from its 15th annual Turf Bocce Ball Tournament, which netted a record $42,925. Recipients included Suzie Colby from the Community Resource Center (CRC); Jenny Norfleet from Social Advocates for Youth (SAY); and Lynn Bazquez from Voices for Children.
The DMSB Rotary club was also proud to present its first High Ethical Standards Award to Jeffrey Church and NIKA Water for their strong commitment to practicing high ethical standards and public values, and in recognition to their outstanding business model of giving back and to environmental concerns.
The meeting concluded with the presentation of the Rotarian of the Year Award to Charles Foster who has demonstrated all year Rotary’s motto of Service Above Self and has been a leader and mentor to all. As Rotary Foundation chair, Foster also congratulated the club on 100 percent participation in contributions to the Foundation again this year totaling $7,485, with another $2,000 donated to the Polio Plus program whose aim is to eradicate polio throughout the world.
The Del Mar–Solana Beach Rotary Club is a service organization of business, professional, and volunteer leaders who belong to the 1.2 million-member Rotary International. The club meets at the Doubletree Hotel in Carmel Valley on Friday mornings from 7:15-8:30 a.m. For more information about the DMSB Rotary, please contact president Kirk Collins at 619-254-8234 or membership chair Richard Fogg at 858-945-8718.
- Del Mar-Solana Beach Rotary presents ‘Celebration of Service’
- Rotary celebrates year of service
- Rotary marks 50 years of service
- Rotary marks 50 years
- Shurtleff to lead TP Rotary
Short URL: http://www.delmartimes.net/?p=25236