Fletcher Cove Community Center dedication ceremony celebrates upgrade
By Claire Harlin
About 80 people young and old attended the dedication ceremony for the Fletcher Cove Community Center on March 28.
Once overgrown with ice plant and now neatly terraced with mosaic tables and plants, the outdoor area surrounding the newly renovated center was the focus of the event. The upgrades were made possibly by the landscape architecture of Solana Beach City Councilman Mike Nichols and the funding of community members Peter House and Carol Childs. House is the president of the Highway 101 Association and Childs is president of the Solana Beach Civic and Historical Society.“There were so many people there, from landscapers to citizens to kids,” said House. “So many people took part. We provided the funding but everyone else did the work.”
House said the project came together quickly — in a matter of a month, and Nichols was at the site almost daily overseeing the landscaping.
“Mike is very generous and very humble,” said House. “He gives an enormous amount of time to the city. There’s probably no major project in Solana Beach that doesn’t have Mike Nichols’ thumbprint on it.”
- Solana Beach residents help landscape Fletcher Cove Community Center
- Solana Beach benefactors donate $25K for community center renovations
- Fundraising efforts gear up for Fletcher Cove community center
- Solana Beach awards contract for Fletcher Cove Community Center Renovations
- Bird sculpture unveiled at Fletcher Cove
Short URL: http://www.delmartimes.net/?p=33279