Canyon Crest Academy wins CIF Boys Varsity Division II Tennis Championship
On May 11, Canyon Crest Academy (CCA) won the Boys Varsity Division II Team Tennis Championship at the George E. Barnes Family Junior Tennis Center located on W. Point Loma Blvd. Never before in the school’s history has a boys’ team won a CIF Championship in any sport, let alone tennis.
The road to the final began on May 8, as CCA had home court advantage due to their #1 seed in the division. They beat Southwest High, Sierra High, and Point Loma High before their meeting with Cathedral Catholic in the final. CCA won by a commanding yet hard-fought score of 13-5.
Coaches Christopher Black and Larry Belinsky said they were impressed and pleased with their team’s poise, focus, and maturity in capturing the prestigious title. Black and Belinsky both said they believe that an experience like this one will play a great role in shaping these boys’ outlook and character in their later lives.
The Individual League tournament began on Monday, May 14, at CCA, followed by the CIF Individual tournament beginning on Monday, May 21, at the Barnes Center. There is no charge for admission.
- Canyon Crest Academy Boys Tennis Team sweeps titles in Valley League
- Canyon Crest Academy girls tennis team wins Valley League championship
- Canyon Crest Academy Swim & Dive Team launches league season with Varsity Boys win
- Canyon Crest Academy wins County Academic League Championship
- Canyon Crest Academy wins 2012 North County Academic League Championship
Short URL: http://www.delmartimes.net/?p=35228