Del Mar lifeguard building up for prestigious architecture award
By Claire Harlin
One of the most talked about design award organizations — known for honoring building and interior design that’s helped the local scene grow — has turned the spotlight on the 17th Street Beach Safety Center in Del Mar, located at 1700 Coast Blvd.
The building and its architects were nominated in August for an “orchid” via Orchids & Onions, an educational and fundraising program of the Architectural Foundation. The results were scheduled to be announced on Oct. 11 (after presstime for this newspaper).
The center’s development is unique in that the community actually made it happen. A group of residents formed a nonprofit, the Friends of the Powerhouse, to replace the inadequate existing structure. The design process began nearly a decade ago and the center opened this summer.
To view the winners, visit www.orchidsandonions.org.
- More than $34,500 raised for a new Del Mar lifeguard tower
- Del Mar lifeguard station replacement to start
- Open House scheduled at new Del Mar community building
- Carmel Valley educator to receive prestigious award
- Del Mar Foundation awards matching grant for Beach Safety Center
Short URL: http://www.delmartimes.net/?p=40875