Del Mar adopts off-leash hours for Del Mar Shores Park
By Claire Harlin
In its second reading, the Del Mar City Council on Dec. 3 adopted an ordinance renewing the temporary off-leash area for dogs at Del Mar Shores Park.
The ordinance, which continues the existing uses and hours of the park that were set in place for a trial period, will go into effect on Jan. 2 and stay valid for three years.
The decision follows a Nov. 19 public hearing in which it was brought to the council’s attention that the trial period, which began on Jan. 23, had expired. The adopted hours and uses are the result of hours of city deliberation and public testimony, mainly by dog owners advocating off-leash use and the Little League community, which wants to practice sports free of feces and unleashed dogs.
The dog community in November asked for expanded use of the park when the ordinance came up for renewal, however, the council agree on keeping the following times and uses:
• Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays from 3:30 p.m. until dusk: use by Little League or other organized sports licensed by the city
• Monday through Sunday from 6 to 8:30 a.m.: off-leash dogs allowed
• Tuesdays,Thursdays and Saturdays from 4 p.m. to dusk: off-leash dogs allowed
- Council passes off-leash hours for Del Mar Shores Park
- Del Mar City Council supports off-leash hours at Shores park
- City Council continues shared use of Del Mar Shores Park
- Solana Beach addresses outdated leash laws
- Dog injured by off-leash pit bull in Carmel Valley park
Short URL: http://www.delmartimes.net/?p=43151