Preliminary hearing scheduled for men accused of burglary at Del Mar Heights Elementary School

By City News Service

Three Riverside County men accused in the theft of 29 iPads and other electronic devices from Del Mar Heights Elementary School are scheduled to appear at the downtown courthouse today, April 18, for a preliminary hearing.

Trevor J. Williams, 21, Thomas Earl Burleson, 21, and Eyon Zimmerman, 19, are charged with burglary and receiving stolen property.

Williams and Burleson are charged in connection with the burglary at the school in Del Mar. Zimmerman also faces charges related to six other burglaries at schools in San Diego County, said Deputy District Attorney Brendan McHugh.

Burleson faces seven years in prison if convicted, Williams nine years and Zimmerman 13 years.

Williams and Burleson are documented gang members and Zimmerman is a known associate, the prosecutor said.

The charges against the defendants include allegations that the crimes — which began Nov. 18 — were committed for the benefit of a gang, according to McHugh.

He said the defendants are also under investigation for break-ins in other Southern California counties, including Orange and Los Angeles counties.

The defendants were arrested Jan. 30 at a Temecula-area Border Patrol checkpoint. The iPads stolen from the Del Mar school earlier that morning or the night before were recovered from the defendants’ car, along with a laptop computer, bolt cutters and a projector, McHugh said.

At the conclusion of today’s preliminary hearing, a judge will decide whether enough evidence was presented for the defendants to stand trial.

Related posts:

  1. Defendants in iPads, laptop theft case plead not guilty
  2. Defendants charged in connection with iPad, Laptop thefts from Del Mar Heights School
  3. Thieves steal iPads from Del Mar Heights School
  4. Preliminary hearing delayed for man in Del Mar molestation case
  5. Driver in fiery crash that killed deputy faces preliminary hearing

Short URL: http://www.delmartimes.net/?p=49196

Posted by Staff on Apr 18, 2013. Filed under Carmel Valley, Del Mar, News, carmel valley. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. You can skip to the end and leave a response. Pinging is currently not allowed.

1 Comment for “Preliminary hearing scheduled for men accused of burglary at Del Mar Heights Elementary School”

  1. Mike

    I remember I was asked to vote YES on Prop CC last November to get ipads in the Del Mar Schools (and a bunch of junk that didn’t seem valid or helped the students educationally). I know my kids just mess around on ipads-playing games, etc. I am impressed with the textbooks in Del Mar Union so I voted NO. I was also concerned that kids would drop the ipads, they would get scratched up, or stolen. Sure enough, 29 ipads were stolen. Why weren’t they locked up properly? Doesn’t the school have video surveillance and an alarm? These ghetto punks are 100% GUILTY. Lock them up for a VERY LONG time.

Leave a Reply

Archives

Facebook

Bottom Buttons 1

Bottom Buttons 2

Bottom Buttons 3

Bottom Buttons 4

Bottom Buttons 5

Bottom Buttons 6

LA JOLLA NEWS

RSS LA JOLLA NEWS

RANCHO SANTA FE NEWS

RANCHO SANTA FE NEWS

RSS RANCHO SANTA FE NEWS