Del Mar-Solana Beach Rotarians meet ‘Lovable Lincoln’
By Charles Foster
The Del Mar-Solana Beach Rotary Club enjoyed a lively introduction to the Agua Hedionda Lagoon by its foundation’s Executive Director Lisa Cannon-Rodman, who is also President of Carlsbad Hi-Noon Rotary.
Lisa overviewed the history of the lagoon, its importance to Carlsbad and the entire county, and how the lagoon is a unique blend of business, environment, and sporting activities. The lagoon’s Discovery Center also teaches environmental stewardship to children of all ages from throughout the county.
Lisa described the “near holocaust” that almost destroyed the lagoon through a destructive algae, Caulerpa Taxifolia, one of only two algae on the list of 100 worst invasive species in the world. This threat was eradicated through a long and costly process that, if not eradicated, could have threatened the entire Californian coast.
The fun part of Lisa’s talk came by introducing the foundation’s “roving” ambassador, Lovable Lincoln, an Australian Bearded Dragon. Lincoln delighted the whole audience, although only a few showed the courage to hold it.
Lisa invited all to visit the Discovery Center at 1580 Cannon Road, Carlsbad, to see all of the “critters” in their natural habitats and enjoy the spectacular views of the Agua Hedionda lagoon.
The Del Mar-Solana Beach Rotary Club is one of over 34,000 Rotary Clubs in more than 200 countries that work to make communities at home and around the world better places for all. For more information about Rotary and the DMSB Rotary, call Richard Fogg (858-693-7556) or see www.DMSBRotary.com.
- Eyeglasses for El Salvador provided by one Del Mar Solana Beach Rotarian to another
- New Del Mar – Solana Beach Rotary President returns from international convention in Portugal
- Del Mar-Solana Beach Sunrise Rotary holds ‘riotous’ Demotion Party
- Youngest member of the Del Mar-Solana Beach Rotary Club selected as ‘Rotarian of the Year’
- More than $81,000 invested in charitable projects by Del Mar-Solana Beach Rotary Club
Short URL: http://www.delmartimes.net/?p=56351