Urge City Council to adopt Fletcher Cove Community Center Initiative
The initiative petition has been filed with and certified by the San Diego County Registrar of Voters. The wishes of over 2,000 Solana Beach registered voters who signed this petition cannot be ignored.
This request for a more reasonable use permit at our Fletcher Cove Community Center must now be presented to the City Council — that’s the function of an initiative petition. Remember that numerous City discussions about this use policy for our Fletcher Cove Community Center have been going on for over two years with no reasonable resolution.
The lnitiative wording is simple: Authorization of Special Event Permits for Fletcher Cove Community Center: The City of Solana Beach shall make the Fletcher Cove Community Center, and adjacent patio and lawn areas, available for use by Solana Beach residents for meetings, classes, celebrations and other events through the issuance of a special event permit on the following basis:
1. Special Events permits for use of the Fletcher Cove Community Center shall be limited to no more than two of the three days of Friday, Saturday or Sunday.
2. Nominal fees for the use of the Fletcher Cove Community Center shall be collected by the City of Solana Beach.
3. Applicable Alcoholic Beverage Control rules and regulations shall govern the service of wine and beer at Fletcher Cove Community facilities.
4. Noise generated by a permitted special event shall be governed by the Solana Beach Municipal Code as it is applicable in residential areas.
5. Occupancy at a permitted special event shall be governed by the Solana Beach Municipal Code.
6. A permitted special event must conclude by 10 p.m., including complete clean up of the permitted event.
7. Any behavior that violates Alcoholic Beverage Control rules and regulations. State of California or City of Solana Beach law may result in the immediate closure of the special event, revocation of the special event permit, fines, or in other relevant action as authorized by the Solana Beach Municipal Code.
Now that more than 15 percent of the City’s registered voters’ signatures have been filed and certified by the County Registrar of Voters and verified to the City Clerk , the certified initiative will be presented to the City Council at their Oct. 9 meeting. The City Council can study the initiative for 30 days, after which time, the City Council has 10 days to decide to either adopt the initiative measure wording without any changes or select a date for a Special Election. This initiative is the result of the decision that the City Council made in August when they adopted their overly restrictive use permit policy for our Fletcher Cove Community Center, ignoring the wishes of over 2,000 resident/voters in Solana Beach who signed the petition.
Seven former Solana Beach mayors, including myself, support the initiative. Please urge your City Council to adopt the Fletcher Cove Community Center Initiative.
- Citizens’ group launches initiative to open Fletcher Cove Community Center in Solana Beach for special events
- Fletcher Cove Community Center Voter Initiative effort to continue
- Give the City’s Fletcher Cove Community Center policy a chance
- Solana Beach City Council adopts policy for Fletcher Cove Community Center use
- Solana Beach City Council develops policy on Fletcher Cove Community Center use
Short URL: http://www.delmartimes.net/?p=57907