New Encinitas Fire Chief resigns
By Steve Dreyer
Encinitas Fire Chief Jon Canavan has resigned after two months on the job and will return to Poway as its fire marshal.
Canavan said Thursday his change of heart was based on the large time and energy commitment needed to do the Encinitas job, coupled with unspecified personal issues.
“Great people, great staff and a great community,” he said of Encinitas. “They needed a fire chief to spend lots of time and energy on real focused issues.”
The department has six stations. The chief also provides operational oversight for emergency services in the cities of Del Mar and Solana Beach.
Mike Deigle, the department’s deputy chief, will be the interim chief, Canavan said.
Canavan joined the Poway department in 2003 as a fire division chief after spending 13 years with the San Marcos department. He lives in Poway with his wife and two sons.
- Del Mar welcomes new fire department chief
- Cities enter joint-fire management services agreement
- Del Mar approves changes to shared fire services agreement with Solana Beach, Encinitas
- Officials sign joint fire management agreement
- Two killed in Encinitas house fire identified
Short URL: http://www.delmartimes.net/?p=61676