Undetonated mortar shell found near Carmel Valley
By City News Service
A surveyor came across an undetonated mortar shell on an open tract of land in Torrey Highlands Jan. 27, prompting a bomb squad call-out.
The discovery north of State Route 56, off Camino del Sur, was reported shortly before 11:30 a.m., according to the San Diego Fire-Rescue Department.
An ordnance-handling team was called in to “disrupt,’’ or neutralize, the device and dispose of it, SDFRD spokesman Maurice Luque said.
Due to the openness of the locale where the shell turned up, no road closures or evacuations were necessary, he said.
The origin of the weapon was unknown.
- Students detonate bottle bomb in Carmel Valley
- Suspicious object causes security scare in CV
- Possible arson fire extinguished
- Fire damages structure at Evergreen Nursery in Carmel Valley
- Gas line ruptures at Del Mar Highlands Town Center
Short URL: http://www.delmartimes.net/?p=63949