Surfboard designer visits Del Mar Heights School as part of ArtPartners program
Local surfboard designer Josh Oldenburg paid a visit to the fourth grade classes of Del Mar Heights Elementary as part of the school’s ongoing ArtPartners program. ArtPartners is a program that invites guest artists into the school to share their passion, process, and technical knowledge with students.
Oldenburg spent the hour-long class sessions describing and demonstrating the process of design, sculpture, pigment and color use, materials use, and functional considerations that go into custom, handmade surfboard design. Oldenburg’s process stands in stark contrast to the vast majority of surfboard manufacturers’ who rely on assembly line production. Oldenburg creates each board from start to finish from design to final polish in a process that is much like sculpture.
Students were also asked to try their hand at using a basic template to design an outline for a board. Trying out the tools and techniques of surfboard design was both inspiring and enriching to Del Mar Heights students.
In upcoming visits, Del Mar Heights students will be hosting local artists in textile design, architecture, and landscape painting.
- Del Mar Heights School connects students with artists
- Spanish program ends at Del Mar Heights school after board vote
- Del Mar Heights school advances students’ tech education with iTouch Learning program
- The Boardroom International Surfboard Show at Del Mar Fairgrounds Oct. 6-7
- Del Mar Heights student art exhibit to be held at Del Mar Art Center Gallery
Short URL: http://www.delmartimes.net/?p=65184