- In an early test of their strength against some tough local competition, Torrey Pines passed with flying colors.
The Falcons won the Hilltop Tournament in decisive fashion with a 65-47 victory over tournament host Hilltop on Dec. 11. The Falcons outscored their five tournament opponents by a combined 333-218.
Nick Kerr scored 25 points in the title game to lead the Falcons and Jesse Neugarten added 15 points.
The Falcons advanced to the finals after a 70-60 semifinal win against Helix on Dec. 10.
Kerr led the Falcons with 24 points in the Helix game, and C.J. Vafiadis added 18 points and led the team with eight rebounds.
The Falcons opened the tournament with a 55-42 victory over Westview on Dec. 4, and followed that win by trouncing El Cajon Valley 70-40 on Dec. 5 and Monte Vista 73-29 on Dec. 8.
Kerr averaged 25 points and was named tournament MVP.
The Falcons improved to 5-0 to start the season.
- Santa Fe Christian had its season-opening five-game winning streak snapped as the Eagles lost to San Marcos 61-52 in the Coast Union tourney title game.
Karl Holmlund scored 19 points in defeat for the Eagles and Kyle Hubbard added 16 points.
Kyle Doan led the team with 11 rebounds.
The loss followed a decisive 69-26 victory over King City earlier in the day.
Holmlund scored 15 points and Bradley Searle added 14 points to lead the Eagles in the King City game.
Doan led the Eagles with 13 boards.
- San Diego Jewish Academy defeated Tri-City Christian 63-47 in a nonleague game on Dec. 8.
Seth Cohen scored 16 points and pulled down 15 rebounds to lead the Lions, who improved their overall record for the season to 2-1.
Stan Kaplun scored14 points and six steals for the Lions, and Jabob Katz added 12 points.
Drew Ferris led the Lions with 18 rebounds.
- Santa Fe Christian scheduled some elite nonleague opponents to prepare for league play, and so far the Eagles have more than held their own.
After losing their first two games to start the season, the Eagles reeled off four consecutive victories before losing to San Pasqual 69-19 in a Granite Hills tournament opener for both teams on Dec. 11.
The Eagles won their last three games at the prestigious Phoenix Country Day School Classic in Phoenix, Ariz., and stretched their winning streak to four games with a 50-47 nonleague victory over Oceanside on Dec. 10.
Brittany Bushor scored 17 points to lead the Eagles in the Oceanside game.
Katie Weisenberger led the Eagles with 14 rebounds and four assists, and added 11 points, and Kiara Quinn contributed 13 points.
- Cathedral Catholic's three-game winning streak ended with a 60-55 loss to Poway in a Bronco Invitational tournament game at Rancho Bernardo High on Dec. 11.
Christina Kime scored 24 points in defeat for the Dons and Malia Nawahine added 14 points.
Carolyn Franke led the Dons with nine rebounds.
The Dons defeated Canyon Crest Academy 55-34 in a Bronco tournament game on Dec. 8.