By Gideon Rubin
After a sluggish start, Torrey Pines' turnaround appears to be in full swing.
The Falcons continued their strong play with 27-10 dismantling of Fallbrook in an Avocado League game on Oct. 30.
The Falcons, who were a combined 5-14-1 in the first two years since the 2007 retirement of coaching legend Ed Burke, started inauspiciously, going 0-3. But with their latest win, they're 3-1-1 over their last five games, improving to 3-4-1 overall and 1-1-1 in league.
Falcons quarterback John Cabot completed 11 of 21 pass attempts for 212 yards to spearhead the victory. His favorite target, Ryan Rodas, caught six passes for 142 yards.
John Wilson led the Falcons' ground game, rushing for 118 yards and one touchdown on 14 carries, and Joseph Driscoll rushed for 90 yards and one touchdown on 10 carries.
Blake Busse kicked two field goals for the Falcons.
Fallbrook closed to within 20-10 in the fourth quarter, but Driscoll's scoring run from the 1 put the game out of reach.
- Cathedral Catholic left nothing to chance in a 34-3 shellacking of Patrick Henry of San Diego in an Eastern League game on Oct. 30. The Dons improved to 7-1 overall for the season and 2-1 in league that pulled them into a four-way tie for first place.
Dons running back Jonny Martin led the route, rushing for 263 yards and three touchdowns on 18 carries. Tyler Vasquez led the Dons defensively with seven tackles, and Jordan Lance made six tackles.
Martin scored the game's first three touchdowns on 48, 58 and 1-yard runs to give the Dons a 21-0 lead midway through the second quarter.
Lance scored on a 10-yard run late in the second quarter to give the Dons a 28-3 halftime lead.
Johns Wells kicked two field goals in the second half, a 30-yarder in the third quarter and a 48-yarder in the fourth quarter that stretched the Dons' lead to 34-3
- Santa Fe Christian's seven-game unbeaten streak to start the season ended with a 31-0 loss to Francis Parker of San Diego in a Coastal North League game Oct. 31.
The game was played in tribute to William Wardrip, a SFC player who died the previous weekend in a car accident.
The Eagles fell to 1-1 in league and 7-1 overall for the season.
Keaton Giannotti was 5-for-14 passing for 110 yards in defeat for the Eagles. Kurt Luedtke led the Eagles with 74 rushing yards.
Eagles standout running back Sam Hoekstra was held to 30 rushing yards.
- San Diego Jewish Academy lost to Foothills Christian of El Cajon 21-0in a Southern League game on Oct. 29.
SDJA quarterbacks Joseph Mizrachi and Micah Weinstein combined for 231 yards to lead the Lions. Mizrachi completed 9 of 17 attempts for 156 yards, and Weinstein was 5-for-7 passing.for 75 yards.
The Lions fell to 4-2 in league and 5-2 overall for the season.
- First-place Cathedral Catholic continued its dominance of Western League play with a big 3-0 (25-13, 25-11, 25-7) victory over University City of San Diego on Oct. 28.
Kelly Reeves had 15 kills to lead the Dons and Taylor Milton added 12 kills. Dons setter Lauren Miller had 20 assists.
The Dons improved to 9-0 in league and 12-1 overall.
- Torrey Pines defeated Mission Hills of San Marcos 3-0 (25-8, 25-17, 25-13) in an Avocado League match on Oct. 28.
Katie Dutchman had 22 kills to lead the victory and Falcons setter Jenny Woolway contributed 46 assists.
- San Diego Jewish Academy continued its amazing run with a 3-0 (25-10, 25-10, 25-13) victory over San Pasqual Academy on Oct. 29.
Aliya Luther had 10 kills and four aces to lead the Lions and Gabriella Rothman added nine kills, 12 assists and three aces. Katie Sherman contributed 10 assists and three aces.
The Lions improved to 10-0 in league and 19-1 overall for the season.
- Canyon Crest Academy lost to perennial power La Jolla Country Day 3-0 (25-12, 25-10, 25-15) in a Coastal South League match. Samantha Cash had 14 kills in defeat for the Ravens, who fell to 2-3 in league and 6-6 overall.
- Emerging power Canyon Crest Academy trounced Army-Navy of Carlsbad 18-3 in a nonleauge game on Oct. 30.
Grant Jurgensen scored six goals to lead the route and Jordan Warburg added four goals. The Ravens improved their overall record for the season to 17-6.
- Torrey Pines defeated Santa Fe Christian 10-8 in a nonleague match on Oct. 28.
Denis Vaisberg and Nicolas Montalbano each scored four goals to lead the Falcons.
Falcons goalie Eric Hsu recorded 10 saves. Jared Tower scored three goals and had two assists in defeat for the Eagles.
The Falcons improved their overall record for the season to 14-11. The Eagles fell to 15-7.