- Torrey Pines closed out the North County Conference Tournament with two big wins.
The Falcons defeated Ramona 6-1 on April 6 and Poway 6-3 in a tourney finale the next day.
Zack Zehner and Shane Bingham each homered in both games to lead the Falcons offensively.
Falcons starter Joey DeNato pitched five innings for the win in the Ramona game.
DeNato struck out nine batters and allowed one run on eight hits and one walk. Reed Mason pitched two innings of scoreless relief for the save.
Nate Walker pitched six innings for the win in the Poway game, allowing three runs (two earned) on eight hits, and Cole Swanson pitched two scoreless innings for the save.
Zehner had three RBI in the Ramona game, and Bingham and Nate Walker each had two hits.
Zehner, Bingham and Garrett Stubbs each had two hits in the Poway game.
Zehner and Bingham both hit their second and third homers of the season.
The Falcons were off to a 1-2 start in the tournament, which started last month. They lost to Rancho Buena Vista 3-0 in the tourney opener on March 22 and then 13-5 to Carlsbad two days later.
They defeated Valley Center 7-2 on March 26 for their first tournament win.
The Falcons improved their overall record for the season to 10-6.
- Santa Fe Christian went 2-2 at the Bishop Gorman tournament in Las Vegas, highlighted by a 5-4 victory over Golden Valley of Santa Clarita on April 7 and a wild 11-inning 12-11 win against Harrison County of Cynthiana (Ky.) on April 9.
The Eagles lost to Juan Diego Catholic of Draper (Utah) 9-4 on April 8 and to host Bishop Gorman 8-5 on April 10.
Trevyn Reese had three hits including a homer and three RBI to lead the Eagles in the Harrison County game.
Eagles reliever Jake McKinney pitched three shutout innings of relief for the win.
Reese and Nolan Gannon each had two RBI to lead the Eagles against Golden Valley.
Eagles starter Graham Gomez pitched 6 2/3 innings for the win. He struck out six batters and allowed four runs (three earned) on seven hits and two walks.
Jake McKinney had a double and a triple and drove in two runs in the Bishop Gorman game, and Bobby Zarubin contributed two doubles.
The Eagles' overall record for the season fell to 8-5-1.
- Cathedral Catholic lost to Patrick Henry 7-5 in a City Conference tournament game on April 7.
Casey Munoz had three hits including two doubles to lead the Dons offensively, and Daniel Camarena had two RBI.
The Dons' overall record for the season fell to 8-6.
Track and Field:
Three local runners shined at the April 9 and 10 Arcadia Invitational, which is widely considered one of the nation's most prestigious high school track and field meets.
Santa Fe Christian Jenna Puterbaugh sprinter placed second in the 100 and 200 meter events, clocking 11.76 and 24.06 times, respectively.
Torrey Pines' Alli Billmeyer placed second in the 1,600, clocking a 4:52.97 performance, and Falcons teammate Megan Morgan placed fifth in the 3,200, finishing in 10:37.51.
- Torrey Pines defeated Holy Cross of Kensington (Md.) in a nonleague game on April 8.
Falcons standout Katie Trees scored four goals and had two assists, and Julia Crowley added three goals.
Falcons goalie Carrie Yang had 14 saves.
Torrey Pines improved its overall record for the season to 9-2.
- Red-hot Santa Fe Christian defeated Bishop's of La Jolla 8-7 in a Coastal League game on April 7.
Kurt Luedtke scored five goals to lead the Eagles, and goalie Jackson DuPont had eight saves.
The Eagles improved to 5-0 in league and pushed their overall record for the season to 7-2.
- Torrey Pines extended its season opening winning streak to six games as the Falcons trounced Thousand Oaks 15-3 in a nonleague game on April 7. Sean Doyle scored five goals to lead the Falcons and James VanLangen added two goals.