- A surprising setback in the first week of Avocado League play apparently hasn't slowed the Torrey Pines juggernaut much at all.
The Falcons bounced back from their Jan. 22 loss to Escondido in emphatic fashion, reeling off three consecutive victories.
They defeated Mission Hills 65-49 and La Costa Canyon 48-43 in league games on Jan. 27 and 29. They also defeated Santa Monica 52-47 in a nonleague State Preview Challenge game on Jan. 30. The Falcons improved their overall record for the season to 18-2, and pushed their league record to 3-1.
Nick Kerr scored 16 points and Max Heller added 13 points to lead the Falcons in the Santa Monica game.
Heller and Kerr each scored 17 points to lead the Falcons in the LCC game.
Heller led the Falcons with 19 points in the Mission Hills game, and C.M. Vafiadis and Amir Begovic added 11 and 10 points, respectively.
- Santa Fe Christian improved to 4-0 in Coastal League play after a decisive 63-48 victory over Army-Navy on Jan. 29.
The victory followed a tough 46-43 nonleague loss to La Jolla County Day two days earlier.
Kyle Hubbard scored 22 points to lead the Eagles in the Army-Navy game and Karl Holmlund and Cade Gotta added 16 and 13 points, respectively.
Hubbard led the Eagles with 11 points in the LJCD game.
The Eagles improved to 15-6 overall for the season.
- Cathedral Catholic defeated Mission Bay of San Diego in a Western League game on Jan. 26.
Jack Enright scored 16 points to lead the Dons and Marco Kengott added seven points.
The Dons improved to 2-4 in league and 9-8 overall for the season.
- Cathedral Catholic kept itself in the Western League title hunt as the Dons defeated Mission Bay of San Diego 45-36 on Jan. 26.
The victory kept the Dons (5-1 in league, 11-10 overall for the season) within a game in the loss column of first place Our Lady of the Peace of San Diego (7-0 in league) going into the second half of league play.
Kristina Kime scored 22 points and had seven rebounds and five assists to lead the Dons.
Malia Nawahine added 11 points and Carolyn Frank pulled down 11 boards for the Dons.
Torrey Pines experienced its first Avocado League loss, 77-52 to La Costa Canyon on Jan. 29.
The Falcons two days earlier defeated Mission Hills of San Marcos 81-66 in a league game. The Falcons fell to 3-1 in league and 13-7 overall for the season.
Megan Fennessy and Krisitin Nasella each scored 12 points to lead the Falcons in the LCC game and Heather Serven added 11 points.
Serven poured in 38 points to lead the Falcons in the Mission Hills game.and Megan McClung added 20 points. Fennessy, who leads the Falcons in rebounds for the season, pulled down 10 boards.
- Canyon Crest Academy's four-game winning streak was snapped when Ravens lost to Bishop's 61-51 in a Coastal League South game on Jan. 29.