- Tough-to-figure Cathedral Catholic has never been tougher to figure out.
The Dons, who stunned area hoops circles last season advancing to the San Diego Section Div. III finals after finishing third in Western League play, are at it again.
This time, after a 0-4 start in league play, the Dons are suddenly near the top of the league standings after winning four straight league games.
The torrid Dons improved their overall record for the season to 11-8 after defeating St. Augustine of San Diego 60-52 on Feb. 2 and then trouncing La Jolla 69-50 three days later.
The Dons' fourth consecutive victory was especially perplexing considering they'd lost to La Jolla 52-34 on Jan. 15 in the first round of league play.
Jack Enright scored 16 points to help them more than double their offensive output in the rematch, and Nick Madden and Mathew Rosenburg added 13 and 12 points, respectively.
Enright scored 16 points in the St. Augustine game and Madden added 14 points. Marco Kengott contributed 10 points for the Dons.
- Torrey Pines had its five-game winning streak snapped when the Falcons lost to Santa Margarita, 62-57, in a nonleague Nike Extravaganza Tournament game at Mater Dei of Santa Ana.
The loss followed decisive Avocado League victories over San Pasqual, 64-48, on Feb. 5 and Fallbrook, 66-49, the next day.
Amir Begovic scored 14 points to lead the Falcons in the Santa Margarita game and Nick Kerr and Max Heller added 12 and 11 points, respectively.
Kerr scored 15 points and Begovic added 10 points to lead the Falcons in the San Pasqual game.
Kerr scored 27 points, hitting 6-of-9 3-pointers to lead the Falcons in the Fallbrook game, and Heller added 14 points.
The Falcons fell to 20-3 overall for the season and are tied for the league lead at 5-1.
- Santa Fe Christian remains unbeaten in Coastal League North play after cruising to an easy 78-37 victory over Tri-City Christian on Feb. 5.
The victory followed a 56-48 loss to Canyon Crest Academy in a nonleague game on Feb. 3.
Kyle Hubbard scored 21 points to lead the Eagles against Tri-City Christian, and Bradley Searle and Cade Gotta each added 14 points.
Gotta scored 17 points and Holmlund added 16 points in defeat for the Eagles in the CCA game.
The Eagles improved to 5-0 in league and 16-7 overall for the season.
- Canyon Crest Academy defeated La Jolla Country Day 65-49 in a Coastal League South game on Feb. 6.
Max McCarthy scored 21 points to lead the Ravens and Ryan Kroner added 16 points.
Mac Biblowitz contributed 10 points and 10 rebounds, for the Ravens, and Cory Osetkowski added 11 points.
Osetkowski scored 17 points had 10 rebounds to lead the Ravens in the Santa Fe Christian game. Kroner and McCarthy each added 12 points.
The Ravens improved to 2-3 in league and 12-11 overall for the season.
- San Diego Jewish Academy defeated Escondido Adventist Academy 59-54 in a Citrus League West game on Feb. 6.