- After a sluggish start, Canyon Crest Academy has caught fire.
The defending San Diego Section Division III champs won their sixth straight game and for the eighth time in nine games on Jan. 8, when the Ravens ground out a tough 37-33 nonleague victory over Helix of La Mesa.
The Ravens, who lost three of their first four games to start the season, improved their overall record to 10-5.
The Ravens won with a balanced offense and some tenacious defense.
Nicole Leonard, Tasha Quintana and Kiara Hawkins each scored six points to lead the Ravens, and Katie Tywman added five points.
The win followed a 46-32 nonleague win against Valley Center on Jan. 5 when Alison Brown led the Ravens with eight points and Quintana and Julia Brew each added seven points.
- Playing for the first time in three weeks, Torrey Pines showed no signs of rust as the Falcons defeated Rancho Bernardo 70-35 in a nonleague game on Jan. 8.
The Falcons hadn't played since Dec. 18, when they beat Chaparral of Temecula 70-46 in their last game of the Kiwanis tournament.
The Falcons won for the fifth time in six games as they improved their overall record for the season to 9-5.
Heather Serven scored 18 points to lead the Falcons. Megan McClurg contributed 16 points and Fantine Giap added 15.
Other key contributors included Kristen Nasella, who scored 11 points.
Santa Fe Christian lost to Horizon of San Diego 57-27 in a nonleague game on Jan. 6.
Lauren Marrs scored 10 points and pulled down seven rebounds to lead the Eagles, and Kiara Quinn contributed eight points and had five steals.
The Eagles suffered their fourth straight loss as they fell to 6-9.
- Canyon Crest Academy jumped out to a quick start and never looked back, defeating Valley Center 51-37 in a nonleague game on Jan. 9.
The Ravens took a 20-9 lead after the first quarter and never let up as they won for the third time in their last four games to improve their overall record for the season to 8-7.
Cory Osetkowski scored 14 points to lead the Ravens and Ryan Kroner and Max McCarthy added 12 and 11 points, respectively.
The victory followed a tough 57-51 loss to Army-Navy of Carlsbad in nonleague game a day earlier.
Mac Biblowitz scored 14 points and had nine rebounds to lead the Ravens in the Army-Navy game.
Ryan Kroner contributed 12 points, and Osetkowski and McCarthy added 11 and 10 points, respectively.
- Santa Fe Christian remained red hot as the Eagles rallied from an early deficit to defeat Rancho Bernardo 70-57 in a nonleague game on Jan. 6.
Karl Holmlund scored 23 points to lead the Eagles, who won for the sixth time in seven games as they improved their overall record for the season to 11-3.
Cade Gotta contributed 13 points for the Eagles, and Kyle Hubbard and Grant Corsi each added 12 points.
- Cathedral Catholic lost to Mount Miguel of Spring Valley 54-37 in a nonleague game on Jan. 7.