Just one day after a deflating playoff loss to Poway in a San Diego Section Div. I double-elimination playoffs on May 28 put Torrey Pines' season on the brink, the Falcons rallied for a dramatic win.
The Falcons trailed Hilltop by two runs when they tied the game in the fifth.
Zack Zehner hit a two-run walk-off homer in the bottom of the seventh — his second of the day and sixth of the season — that gave the Falcons a dramatic 6-4 victory.
The win sent the Falcons to the semifinals, seeking payback against a Poway team that rallied from a one-run deficit in the bottom of the eighth inning for a 5-4 win on May 28.
"I'm really proud of the way we bounced back from that (Poway) game (on May 28)," Torrey Pines coach Matt Chess said. "I think they've showed a lot of guts."
Zehner went 4-for-4 with four RBI, and Taylor Murphy, Shane Bingham and Garrett Stubbs each contributed two hits.
Joey DeNato, who pitched a scoreless seventh in relief of starter Nate Walker, was credited with the victory.
Walker struck out seven batters and allowed four runs (two earned) on seven hits and one walk in six innings.
Morgan Oliver and Evan Mason each had two hits in defeat for the Falcons in the Poway game.
The Falcons improved their overall record for the season to 24-10.
- Cathedral Catholic defeated St. Augustine 3-0 in a Div. III quarterfinal game.
Daniel Camarena pitched a seven-hit shutout as the Dons won their ninth straight game.
Ray Lowder and Jeff Healey each had two hits to lead the Dons offensively.
The Dons defeated Brawley 7-3 in a Div. III playoff opener on May 26.
The Dons improved their overall record for the season to 21-9.
- Santa Fe Christian lost to Calvary Christian 2-1 in a Div. IV playoff first round game on May 25.
The loss snapped a 12-game Eagles winning streak.
Eagles starter Bobby Zarubin took the loss despite an outstanding effort. He struck out nine batters and allowed two runs (one earned) on seven hits and no walks.
The Eagles fell to 19-5-1 overall for the season.
- Canyon Crest Academy lost to St. Augustine 3-1 in a Div. III playoff first-round game on May 25 that went eight innings.
Ravens starter Matt Malott went the distance, striking out seven batters and allowing three runs (two earned) on six hits and one walk.
Chris Bianchi had two of the Ravens' five hits.
The Ravens concluded their season with a 13-14 overall mark.
- San Diego Jewish Academy lost to Bishop's 3-0 in a Div. V playoff first-round game on May 25 despite an outstanding effort from pitcher Michael Fagan.
Fagan tossed a one-hitter, striking out 14 batters and allowing three runs (one earned).
The Lions concluded their season with an 11-2 overall record.
- Torrey Pines lost to El Camino 1-0 in eight innings in the Div. I finals on May 29.
Falcons freshman Rachel Nasland took the loss despite pitching a three-hitter.
She struck out 11 batters and allowed one run and one walk in 7 1/3 innings.
The Falcons advanced to the finals after defeating Rancho Bernardo 3-0 on May 27. They lost their first game in the double-elimination tournament to El Camino 7-1 earlier in the day.
Nasland pitched a three-hit shutout in the Oceanside game, striking out six batters and allowing one walk.
The Falcons concluded their season with a 26-7-2 overall mark.
Track and field:
- Torrey Pines middle distance sensation Alli Billmeyer won the San Diego Section girls' title in the 1,600 meters in grand fashion May 30 at Mt. Carmel High.
Billmeyer's 4:45.06 time is the fastest recorded in the nation this year, and the second fastest in county history.
- Santa Fe Christian's Jenna Puterbaugh won the girls' 100 and the 200 titles in 11.78 and 24.02.
- Cathedral Catholic's Amanda Post won the Div. II 800 (2:14.09), leading the Dons to a co-championship for the team title with La Jolla.
- Torrey Pines' Megan Morgan placed second in the Div. I 3,200 meters.
In the boys circuit, Torrey Pines won the Div. I title.
Falcons sprinter Bassim El-Sabawi won the 100 (10.74.2) and Trent Newquist took first in the 800 (1:54.29) with teammate Matt Carpowich hot on his heels, finishing second.
- Torrey Pines standout Axel Bouillin won the San Diego Section Div. I title.
Bouillin defeated Poway's Dylan Trent 6-3, 6-1 in the May 28 finals at Barnes Tennis Center in San Diego.
- Santa Fe Christian lost to Laguna Beach 3-0 (25-18, 25-16, 25-17) in the Div. III Southern California Regional finals on May 29 at Irvine Valley College.
Nathan Ross had seven kills to lead the Eagles and Kyle Doan and Kyle Hubbard each added four kills.
The Eagles conclude their season with a 22-5 overall mark.
- Torrey Pines defeated Coronado 9-8 to win the San Diego Section title on May 27.
Caroline Boucher and Katie Trees each scored four goals to lead the Falcons, and goalie Carrie Yang had 18 saves.
The Falcons improved their overall record for the season to 19-3.
- Torrey Pines lost to La Costa Canyon in the San Diego Section title game on May 29.
Sam Anakar led the Falcons with two goals and goalie Alex Perkins had eight saves.
Torrey Pines concluded its season with a 17-3 overall mark. LCC improved to 23-0.