- Torrey Pines High came up short in its bid for a CIF San Diego Section title.
The Falcons lost to El Camino of Oceanside 49-46 in a Div. I semifinal on March 2.
The top-seeded Falcons had high hopes of winning the title after an exciting regular season campaign that included winning an Avocado League title on the last day of the regular season.
The loss snapped a six-game winning streak and dropped the Falcons overall record for the season to 26-4. The Falcons had won 11 of their previous 12 games and 20 of their last 22.
The Falcons got off to a good start and led 25-19 at halftime. But El Camino came out strong in the second half, closing to within 38-36 by the end of the third quarter and then outscoring the Falcons 13-8 in the fourth quarter to seal the win.
Nick Kerr scored 14 points to lead the Falcons and Amir Begovic contributed 13 points.
Jesse Neugarten and Max Heller each added nine points. Heller also contributed four assists.
Matt Spelich led the Falcons with 10 rebounds and Kerr grabbed nine boards.
- Cathedral Catholic's regular season nemesis came back to haunt the Dons in the postseason.
Our Lady of the Peace of San Diego, a Western League rival, defeated the Dons for a third time in as many meetings this season, 48-46, in a San Diego Section Div. III semifinal on March 3.
Emily Kearney scored 13 points to lead the Dons, and Christina Kime and Malia Nawahine added 12 and 10 points, respectively.
The loss dropped the Dons overall record for the season to 17-13.
- Defending section champion Canyon Crest Academy lost to eventual champion Mount Miguel of Spring Valley in a Div. III semifinal on March 3.
The loss left the Ravens' overall record for the season at 20-10.
- Perennial San Diego Section power Cathedral Catholic lost to Castle Park of Chula Vista 2-1 in the Div. III title match on March 6.
Jacob Holt scored the Dons only goal. Dons goalie Andrew Ilijeski had two saves.
The Dons finished the season at 17-4-3.
- Torrey Pines lost to Rancho Buena Vista of Vista 1-0 in a San Diego Section Div. I semifinal on March 2.
Falcons goalies Hunter Rittgers and Heather Schlesier combined for four saves.
The loss snapped the Falcons' 14-game unbeaten streak and dropped their overall record for the season to 16-4-2.
- Torrey Pines senior Alex Pisacane advanced to the fifth round of the March 5 and 6 state championship in Bakersfield in the 145-pound weight division.
The Falcons standout lost via pin to Foothill of Pleasanton's Derek Rizo in 1:48.
- San Diego Jewish Academy pitching standout Michael Fagan threw six innings of no-hit ball in his season debut to lead the Lions to an 11-2 nonleague victory over Foothills Christian of El Cajon on March 4.
The Lions opened their season on March 3 with a 5-4 victory over Calvary Christian of Vista.