Dozens of talented young musicians and dancers from around the county will perform Nov. 12, from 7-9 p.m., in Solana Beach to improve the lives of children who have complex congenital heart disease.
Money raised at the second annual Heart Of A Child concert will benefit the Ariana Fund, a nonprofit organization formed in 2008 in memory of Ariana Miller, a 13-year-old Encinitas girl who died from the disease that year while waiting for a heart transplant.
In its young history, the Ariana Fund has awarded about $25,000 in grants, including $5,000 recently to Resounding Joy to expand its Healing Notes music therapy program at Rady Children’s Hospital for children with congenital heart disease, and $5,000 to Camp del Corazon, a summer camp for children with heart disease.
“These are children with a limited quality and potentially length of life because their heart disease cannot be corrected or cured,” said Ariana’s father, Dr. Jeffrey S. Miller. “They suffer other complications that can affect almost every organ system.”
“They undergo multiple surgeries and invasive procedures. Many of them will ultimately require a heart transplant to survive, and that may only be a temporary solution.”
More than 300 people attended last year’s concert, which raised over $14,000.
This year’s fund-raiser will again feature a guest performance by Eve Selis, a local and internationally known singer and songwriter who has put out many CDs and was named Best Americana Artist at the 2010 San Diego Music Awards.
The lineup includes young performers with a variety of talents:
• Luke Walton of Carlsbad, a singer and songwriter who attends USC.
• Wesley I. Soo Hoo, also of Carlsbad, a pianist who attends UC Irvine.
• Pascalle Rodriguez, Alisa Tang and Darrah Rosin of San Diego, dancers from Canyon Crest Academy.
• Alexis Louise Young of Escondido, a vocalist from Classical Academy High School.
• Amanda Olea of Spring Valley, a vocalist and a Grossmont High School student.
• Austin Comstock, Paris Sorci, Ben Houston, Kate Cheatham and Jacob Morrison of San Diego, a jazz band whose members attend Canyon Crest Academy.
• Christina Sumprer of El Cajon, a harpist from Valhalla High School.
• Sebastian Green of Carlsbad, a singer and songwriter and Pacific Ridge School student.
• J*Company’s ON THE TOWN, a group of 30 singers from schools across the county.
• Alison Grace Norwood of Carmel Valley, a vocalist who attends Canyon Crest Academy.
• Lindsey and Hal Grant, singers from Encinitas. Lindsey attends Canyon Crest Academy.
• Megan Spector of Carmel Valley, a vocalist who is a student at Solana Pacific Elementary.
The concert will be held Saturday, Nov. 12, from 7 to 9 p.m. at Calvary Lutheran Church, 424 Via de la Valle, in Solana Beach, just north of the county fairgrounds. Doors will open at 6 p.m. for refreshments and a silent auction.
Tickets, at $25 each general admission and $15 students, can be purchased at the church or online at
For more information, visit
or send e-mails to firstname.lastname@example.org.