Del Mar suspends turf racing following another injury

By City News Service

Thoroughbred racing on the turf course at 

Del Mar

was suspended for the rest of the week after a horse was seriously injured in a race July 31, the latest in a string of injuries and deaths at the track this month.

In announcing the suspension, the 

Del Mar

Thoroughbred Club expressed deep sorrow'' over the latest injury.

We will continue efforts to improve the course during this down time and hope to resume racing on it in the near future,'' according to a statement.

The horse, a 4-year-old filly named Serious, suffered a sesamoid bone injury in her left foreleg, track officials told The Orange County Register.

Officials originally reported that the horse was euthanized, but later said the horse was still alive as her owners had sought veterinary care for her against the advice of the track veterinarian, the newspaper reported.

Four other horses suffered fatal injuries on the turf track this month and the July 31 injury was the first since measures intended to enhance safety on the course were undertaken, according to news reports.

Races that had been scheduled to take place on the turf course will be moved to the track's Polytrack course, 

Del Mar

officials said.

Four other horses have suffered fatal injuries on the track during this year's thoroughbred meet, which began on July 17.

   
-

Comments

Be relevant, respectful, honest, discreet and responsible. Commenting Rules